• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Benchtop Primer

finally slowed dn enough/got a day off to try out primeing tool.only ran 100 rds of lrg primer swede brass on it. my thoughts so far

it gets the job done but...
tray is pia to load bc it folds in half so the primers dont wanna slide across the fold. also the tray doesnt feed well and constantly have to tap side (blurry pic)

shell holders require a lil elec tape on sides to keep from fighting them spinning to a position where ya cant get brass in/out

feed mechanism is light plastic and knowing myself,i will likely break it at some point.

is it better than rcbs bench primer, not even close,let alone dillon. its not terrible,but if your a volume loader i wouldnt recommend it. i WOULD take it over a hand primer.

an rcbs tray could be modified by removing material off the bottom side of 5he chute where it inserts into unit (lee makes it where they barely wont interchange) that would cure tray issues.

also forgot to mention the shut off switch on the lee tray sticks real bad and i feel like i might break it, will trim notches that it catches on dn a lil

Just my 2 cents...

I can't hand prime because of carpal tunnel. The press priming tool on my rockchucker works ok, but flips primers too often for my taste. Last year I got a bench top RCBS aps primer and love it. It doesn't take that long to load the strips, just a little slower than filling the tube when you get good at it. You can buy pre loaded primers for around 30-32/k if you choose. I'm about 96% successful going as fast as I can, which is much faster than any other method I've tried. I picked one up for $55 from PSA.

I don't see an advantage in time or movements over regular press

I do 98% of my priming on press, but there are circumstances where priming off press is a big advantage. For some setups, the easiest way to do high volume rifle loading is prepping batches of brass, including priming, and then using a progressive or turret press for powder charge, bullet seating and crimping. And some people like to prime brass while watching TV, talking to others, etc.

Back
Top Bottom