• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Progressive press coming out in April

Which press?

• Total voters
Priming appears to be the weakest point on almost all progressive presses. Whether it be a "too tight/loose" shell plate, or powder fouling, or a number of other issues ... it is the PITA champion!

I, among others often prime separately using a hand primer. This to eliminate priming problems and speeding the progressive loading process. Further, I, among others have researched dedicated, automated priming devices ... and found that they simply do not exist outside the commercial (or otherwise very expensive) arena.

As I stated previously, the Lee Safety-Prime System on my Lee Classic Turret is the most reliable I have experienced ... and it isn't "trouble-free". If you are using the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure, you will need to get a riser for it or it will bump into the primer case and interfere with its process ...

A reliable and inexpensive progressive loader is truly the UNICORN that many of us seek ... Hopefully, we will see one someday!

I use a Dillon 650, and I can run it as Dillon advertises on everthing—IF THE BRASS IS PROPERLY CLEANED AND PREPPED. However, I have never been succesful at priming 223/5.56 on the press; because there is always at least 1 out of ten cases that has a primer crimp not fully removed, I have always sized and primmed it on a single stage.

It's a really good lesson in how an earned reputation follows a product or a company for a long time. It's one of the reasons I always try to convince beginners to at least try the Lee Classic Turret (that was Lee's second new press after John Lee took over for his dad). It's so well made and versatile, yet simple enough for a beginner, but it often gets tagged with the old reputation.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Lee Pro 1000. Perfectly set up and well tuned, it can crank out ammo at a ridiculous pace. In a balky state, it's about as fun as a trip to the dentist.
You summed up my feelings on the Pro 1000 to a tee.

Well, I may have made a hasty purchase but it was a really good deal.

Classic cast turret with 4 heads.
Auto drum w/4 drums
Auto prime xr
Safety prime
.223, 300bo, 45acp, 9mm, 40sw dies
Manual

$240 bucks... Couldn't say no. It's all looks new

Well, I may have made a hasty purchase but it was a really good deal.

Classic cast turret with 4 heads.
Auto drum w/4 drums
Auto prime xr
Safety prime
.223, 300bo, 45acp, 9mm, 40sw dies
Manual

$240 bucks... Couldn't say no. It's all looks new

If everything is in good condition, then you did alright! The dies alone should be worth over $100. That, and the extra "heads' are worth an additional $10 each
I don't know your experience level, but having a good recent Reloading Manual and balance beam scale should be on your list of things to buy. Be sure to watch the YouTube's on the Classic Cast Turret ... they are quite instructional and will be useful in maintaining and using your press at its best performance!

Remember: Reloading is like SCUBA Diving. If you have good equipment, maintain it, know how to use it, and follow all of the rules all of the time; then it is one of the safest participation sports. Otherwise, you are asking for and will get TROUBLE that is likely to cause injury or death!

I actually have all of the dies that came with it already. And I have 4 different manuals that I refer to. And 2 scales that I always check against each other.
The main appeal for this was the multiple tool heads, the auto drum and spare drums. I've been using the perfect powder measure up till this point which is pretty good but I wanted a press mounted, case activated option. I will price it out... Stand by

If purchased new, separately, all that is a little over $500.00.
I feel good about it. I will keep watching the new Lee Progressive press too. Even the turret will speed up my rate over the single stage and hand press I've been using

I actually have all of the dies that came with it already. And I have 4 different manuals that I refer to. And 2 scales that I always check against each other.
The main appeal for this was the multiple tool heads, the auto drum and spare drums. I've been using the perfect powder measure up till this point which is pretty good but I wanted a press mounted, case activated option. I will price it out... Stand by

If purchased new, separately, all that is a little over $500.00.
I feel good about it. I will keep watching the new Lee Progressive press too. Even the turret will speed up my rate over the single stage and hand press I've been using

The Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure is the most accurate powder dispenser I've ever used! My experience has shown that deviations are infrequent and are no more than 0.1. Keep in mind: Some powders are not good in ANY powder measure though! I use a LOT of UNIVERSAL, which measures consistently. Be sure to get the powder riser for the measure to properly work with the priming system. Also, go ahead and order an (inexpensive) supply of the actuator rod bushings; when they fail after several thousand rounds (the head will fail to rotate), then the little square bushing will need to be replaced!

I am using Hornady Bullet Feed Dies as they speed up the process considerably. However, they may require you to do the priming separately as the powder riser isn't tall enough to keep the powder measure from running into the bullet feed die and then running into the primer system! I like using a hand primer tool anyhow; seems to assure priming even on difficult cases.

I am in the process of finding out whether I can "stack" the powder risers to accomplish more height while maintaining accurate measurement / dispensing of powder!

I am using Hornady Bullet Feed Dies as they speed up the process considerably. However, they may require you to do the priming separately as the powder riser isn't tall enough to keep the powder measure from running into the bullet feed die and then running into the primer system! I like using a hand primer tool anyhow; seems to assure priming even on difficult cases.

I am in the process of finding out whether I can "stack" the powder risers to accomplish more height while maintaining accurate measurement / dispensing of powder!

Would love to see a pic of your setup with the Hornady feed dies, and also interested to know if the risers stack well.

Back
Top Bottom