• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Progressive press coming out in April

Which press?

• Total voters
I thought you loaded on a Hornady LNL AP?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I DO .. I also load on a Lee Classic Turret

That said, a case feeder for the LNL is on the expensive side and requires a lot of "fiddling" to set-up and change over to other calibers.

Another "un-fun" thing about the LNL is that the Primer Feed "shoe" is VERY sensitive to any kind of fouling. Heck, Primer Feeding appears to be the "Achilles Heel" on the majority of available progressives ...

I hope you realize we're expecting a YouTube review!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
LOL!

You've gotta be kidding ... there are already enough guys already there with accents and tattoos enough for all of us!

My experience with the Lee 1000 was abysmal: the shell plate(s) moved so fast that the powder charge would typically "part company" with the case, and join the airborne yet-to-be-seated-projectiles in a collage of waste that required a complete disassembly of the sorry unit ...

Are my expectations low? You betcha they are!

[QUOTE="That said, a case feeder for the LNL is on the expensive side and requires a lot of "fiddling" to set-up and change over to other calibers.

Another "un-fun" thing about the LNL is that the Primer Feed "shoe" is VERY sensitive to any kind of fouling. Heck, Primer Feeding appears to be the "Achilles Heel" on the majority of available progressives ...[/QUOTE]

U gotta get a case feeder. It's not as bad as u think. It has issuea with 223 and 300BO but there is a company that sells kits cheap that eliminates that. Company called black cat.

Also...primers. I cant agree with u on this. I think u need to adjust it just a tad. Its one of the best features.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

OK ... It's here, I Got the "NEW" Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Press from MidSouth.

The installation isn't "Rocket Science" and is fairly straightforward if you read the instructions and perhaps look at one of the YouTube long-drawn-out-blabber-fests (Tattoos, and Fran Dresher accents notwithstanding).

I set it up to de-prime some .38 Special Brass that I got from one of the ODT'ers. I used the Lee Universal Decapping Die (which does not require cases being lubed). The brass was just as they picked it up; nice and dirty! Instead of pre-washing the stuff, I went directly to de-priming it using the installed case feeder (which is a lot easier to install on this press than I could ever imagine!). The press seemed to love the dirty brass and didn't pick up much in the way of anything from the brass!

Bottom-Line: It is an awesome and swift tool for de-priming!

The Lee Case Collator works far better than I had imagined! There were but very, very few that were up-side-down. However, the few that did make it mandatory that you watch each new case being staged. Further, there were some that didn't go completely into battery in the shell-holder position on the shell-plate; making it absolutely necessary to pay complete attention to the case-loading process. While this is but a minor irritation, the speed of the de-priming process was amazing: the four tubes of shells in the case feeder emptied fast (16 cases per tube x 4 tubes in about a minute). Also, the refilling of the tubes with the Collator took no more than 15 seconds (usually 10)! I had one goof-up when a case dropped containing a .32 ACP Case ... this took about a minute to figure out and correct. Further, the case loading tube mechanism needs to be installed exactly as the instructions state. That said, it may move on you during the loading process ... which is easily addressed with a "nudge" in the right direction!

My assessment of its performance: Impressive for de-priming ... Watch for later experience with actually loading the now de-primed .38's after they have been cleaned!

Words of warning: DO NOT TRY TO GO TOO FAST as you will likely "short-stroke" and crush a case!

Interesting first use test.

Why deprime 38 special as a separate step? Why not just use the decapper pin in the sizing die during regular loading? Are you cleaning the brass after depriming, going for shiny priming pockets?

Interesting first use test.

Why deprime 38 special as a separate step? Why not just use the decapper pin in the sizing die during regular loading? Are you cleaning the brass after depriming, going for shiny priming pockets?

I don't need "Shiny", I just prefer "Clean" ... and I typically prime by hand prior to reloading.

The 1k of .38's are taking a bath in warm, sudzy water with a touch of Citric Acid; accompanied by an aquarium bubbler to keep the water moving. I will rinse them in the morning after an overnight soak. Then, after drying, they will be ready for priming.
I may try using the Lee Priming System that I got for the press ... just to see how it works,

I re-set the press for about 3k of .45 ACP cases I want to process. This involved a re-set of the case feeder (interesting how they do it ... again following the directions would have saved me 15 minutes). The shell plate needed to be changed out (don't install it upside down as that cost me another 6-8 minutes). Obviously, the Case Feeder Tubes hold more .45's than they do .38's ... This makes the process go just a tad faster ... I learned that the case feed jaws were slightly pulling the cases out-of-battery unless I held the shell steady while the jaws arm retreated ... this became un-necessary after processing a tube full of cases (about 24).

Back
Top Bottom