• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New legislation would ensure 90 day suppressor transfers

Damn. Period. I. Guess.
Just no money in it passing. For anyone except the manufacturers and retailers. No big pools of lobbying money to spread around, no new revenues for BATFE, in fact, they'd probably lose some of their appropriations and budget if stamps weren't needed any more. Just a lose-lose for government so it was never going to pass. You gotta be realistic about these things. The folks running around screaming MAGA! President's gonna git HPA passed so "muh next suppressor is goan be nearly free!" or "I'ma waitin' on the HPA 'fore I buy a can!" were pathetically hopeful then and now. Pay the tax and sit tight for your year like the rest of us. HPA or anything like that is never going to happen.

Just no money in it passing. For anyone except the manufacturers and retailers. No big pools of lobbying money to spread around, no new revenues for BATFE, in fact, they'd probably lose some of their appropriations and budget if stamps weren't needed any more. Just a lose-lose for government so it was never going to pass. You gotta be realistic about these things. The folks running around screaming MAGA! President's gonna git HPA passed so "muh next suppressor is goan be nearly free!" or "I'ma waitin' on the HPA 'fore I buy a can!" were pathetically hopeful then and now. Pay the tax and sit tight for your year like the rest of us. HPA or anything like that is never going to happen.
Absolutely. I believe that for sure. If they cant make something off of it, they wont vote for it. Be it direct money, favors or any combination to be named later.
Something that would just benefit society and the community isnt good enough.
Definitely part of the “swamp problem” .
Thanks for input

I think if they passed a 30 day or even 90 day period it would increase their revenue simply because the stupid year or what ever it is keeps people from buying them. Most people want instant gratification. They could really increase it if they allowed for a standard 4473 and even maintain the stupid tax. No stamp just the bribe and record. Not that I think they should be NFA items. Just looking at reality. they are not going to give up the income. They could even reduce head count.

Go back at look at BATF's origins and the Volstead Act and repeal. Government never shrinks. Roosevelt had to do something with all those tax collecting revenuers who'd been feeding at the taxpayer's trough.

There's no reason we should be waiting this long. Trump should have beefed up the NFA branch eons ago.

As for this bill, if it had been proposed before the Dems got the House it might have had a chance. As it is... DOA.

There's no reason we should be waiting this long. Trump should have beefed up the NFA branch eons ago.

As for this bill, if it had been proposed before the Dems got the House it might have had a chance. As it is... DOA.
Trump " I don't like suppressors...dont like them at all."

I posted the below quote in another thread here on 9/25/15. It still makes sense today.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ease-nfa-simplification.1011615/#post-5127800

As stated above the government isn't going to give up the money, but if dealers could issue the stamp and sell a suppressor/MG/SBR the same as any other gun it would be a win for everyone.

The government would get increased revenue from the new buyers who want an NFA item, but aren't willing to jump through the hoops and wait. The retailers would enjoy increased sales from the influx of new buyers and those of us who currently own NFA items, but might make an "impulse buy" from time to time. The manufacturers would benefit from the increased sales with more revenue that would allow for expanding the business and their workforce.

That would be a no-brainer if someone in charge was competent enough to put it in place.

People always say that the government won't give up the tax money, but on average we're talking $70 million a year... That's like one toilet seat on Airforce One.

There's no way the ATF funds the NFA branch on such a trivial amount, so in reality, the money that comes in really doesn't matter.

The big problem here is simply the optics. The HPA didn;t pass because as soon as someone used a suppressor in a high profile crime (like the VA Beach attack) they would have been pilloried by the media for making suppressors 'easier to get'.

Congress doesn't care about what things cost, they care about how they (lawmakers) look.

Back
Top Bottom