• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New life for a 686 cs-1

Thanks guys for the kind words. I initially put that cabinet together to just touch up certain areas on bead blasted guns. I don't know why, but it seems that a blasted finish tends to get corrosion especially under the grips and on the back strap if not taken care of.
Also you have to be extremely careful if there is any kind of laser etching as the media will take that right off. I had to do lots of R & D with different types of media and side plates that I got off of gun broker to get the finish I was looking for. It looks extremely shiny because it is. If you compare it to a blasted finish that is original from the factory that is 20 years old there is some difference. Over time though, the freshly blasted finish will oxidize and should look that way eventually.

upload_2021-1-30_7-56-53.jpeg

Thanks guys for the kind words. I initially put that cabinet together to just touch up certain areas on bead blasted guns. I don't know why, but it seems that a blasted finish tends to get corrosion especially under the grips and on the back strap if not taken care of.
Also you have to be extremely careful if there is any kind of laser etching as the media will take that right off. I had to do lots of R & D with different types of media and side plates that I got off of gun broker to get the finish I was looking for. It looks extremely shiny because it is. If you compare it to a blasted finish that is original from the factory that is 20 years old there is some difference. Over time though, the freshly blasted finish will oxidize and should look that way eventually.

If I were to want to strip down and refinish a blued gun, would this method work to remove the old bluing better than traditional chemical methods?

If I were to want to strip down and refinish a blued gun, would this method work to remove the old bluing better than traditional chemical methods?
I don't this this particular media would do that. It is very fine, almost like trying to hold water in your hand. Smith did make some 586's that were bead blasted and they look really cool.
Maybe if you got some more aggressive media it would work, but that is really never what I set this up to do.

I don't this this particular media would do that. It is very fine, almost like trying to hold water in your hand. Smith did make some 586's that were bead blasted and they look really cool.
Maybe if you got some more aggressive media it would work, but that is really never what I set this up to do.
Thanks. I'm always looking for alternatives. The process of applying Blue Remover and then cleaning it off the gun is a royal pain. :)

Back
Top Bottom