• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New optic for my ar

Well guys I was really set on that acog, probably because it's just an acog and I've always wanted one, but now I'm starting to realize I'd be better with a 1-6 power scope or so. So that being said, can anyone tell me a good reason I SHOULD choose an acog over a variable zoom scope?

The acog is going to to rougher than most scopes with a better mounting system. It's bullet drop compensated, lights up without batteries or switches, and looks dang cool on any platform ( in my eyes, a scope does not look at home on an AR platform.) The fixed power should be all you will need to engage most targets at reasonable distance with the AR. You won't shoot squirrels with it at 400 yards, but you probably wouldn't use your AR for that anyway. Just my 2 cents. Mike

Well guys I was really set on that acog, probably because it's just an acog and I've always wanted one, but now I'm starting to realize I'd be better with a 1-6 power scope or so. So that being said, can anyone tell me a good reason I SHOULD choose an acog over a variable zoom scope?
It's going to be much lighter weight and more durable than a variable optic (I've read stories of them stopping incoming rounds and still holding zero, for what it's worth), with a wider field of view. The trade off is no 1x, which you can then use BAC or an RMR piggyback or 45 degree mounted to use short range.

If you are planning on using your rifle as a “battle rifle” i.e. three gun or practical shooting competitions I would recommend the ACOG because you will have better eye relief then with a standard scope even at 1x and definitely better then a scope at 5 or 10x. But if you are wanting to do strictly precision shooting then I would recommend a traditional scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are planning on using your rifle as a “battle rifle” i.e. three gun or practical shooting competitions I would recommend the ACOG because you will have better eye relief then with a standard scope even at 1x and definitely better then a scope at 5 or 10x. But if you are wanting to do strictly precision shooting then I would recommend a traditional scope.

IMHO I think I have more eye relief with my NXS than any ACOG I've ever tried. Maybe YMMV...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think you might be confusing the terms as ACOGs have super short eye relief (about 1.5") but a great field of view.

I would look at Primary arms 1x scopes. I haven't used one but I have heard nothing but good things on their products. They have several 1-4x, 1-6x and 1-8x. The 1-8x is bit pricey but that scope and power selection is optimum. A red dot and almost a 9x scope. That would cover all the bases. Red dot, mid range and longer range uses all covered.

I would look at Primary arms 1x scopes. I haven't used one but I have heard nothing but good things on their products. They have several 1-4x, 1-6x and 1-8x. The 1-8x is bit pricey but that scope and power selection is optimum. A red dot and almost a 9x scope. That would cover all the bases. Red dot, mid range and longer range uses all covered.
I like them alot, good warranty, good glass for the money, the only real downside of a low power variable scope is weight.

Back
Top Bottom