• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Outdoor Range in Cobb County

They could do a trap\skeet setup in that space if they use a backdrop, but we already have one of those down on Camp Creek.

If they trenched lanes and put a concrete cap on it they could have 100 yard ranges on 6 acres, but now the cost is getting up there.

Or, they could limit it to 22. When I was on rifle team in high school we used to set up traps and shoot in school gyms. While it would be great to have a full service range, a 100 yard 22 range would still be pretty cool to have locally, and it would be an easier sell politically.

There is a lot of open land north west of Brookstone. I think Cobb County owns a lot of it. Bunch is swampy. I know they let guys hunt in there . In the Cheathum Rd area

They could do a trap\skeet setup in that space if they use a backdrop, but we already have one of those down on Camp Creek.

Respectfully disagree.

I have been involved in clay target range development for years. There is no way to put a regulation trap or skeet range on 5 acres.

The NSSF has some very good resources on range development, and innovative solutions to common problems.

Could be... I'm certainly no expert on it. I was going off how big the Tome Lowe range was out on Camp Creek. It just doesn't look all that big on Google Maps.

As a side note, I just saw that the old Olympic shooting venue is the "David L. Hagins Firing Range". Looks like it's LE only though, which really sucks. That should be publicly accessible, just like all the rest of the Olympic venues were opened to the public.

Could be... I'm certainly no expert on it. I was going off how big the Tome Lowe range was out on Camp Creek. It just doesn't look all that big on Google Maps.

As a side note, I just saw that the old Olympic shooting venue is the "David L. Hagins Firing Range". Looks like it's LE only though, which really sucks. That should be publicly accessible, just like all the rest of the Olympic venues were opened to the public.

Tom Lowe is on an old county dump and it is substantially larger than 5 acres. It is big enough to have two full size sporting clays ranges in front of the skeet fields, and the skeet fields can keep operating.

Then there is a police training range beyond that.

I haven't kept up with what has happened to the Olympic venues. They were using the indoor pistol range, which was state of the art, to store voting machines at one time.

Some volunteers tried to keep the Olympic trap ranges open, but got crossed up with the county. Then the traps all got stolen or walked off. Then they sat vacant and deteriorating for years. They may be using them as a LEO training facility, but there is no natural backstop. The Olympic trap fields were on a hill and they shot down into a valley/low area. Footnote, because some of the targets were "in space" they don't look as fast, and some of the shooters complained about that. The officials ended up putting up stakes to show that the targets were going the regulation distance.

Looked up the firing range, and the only one I find is in the Fulton County training facility way on the backside of Tom Lowe.

It's where the icon is on this map.

upload_2018-7-2_15-28-5.png

Back
Top Bottom