• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

new pocket pistol caliber question

I carry a .32 S&W on occasion. Original I frame, 6 shots. Very handy little gun.

Everyone pooh-poohs it, but no one wants to get shot by it.

Funny how that works. Before I sold my mini-14, some guy at the range would always start talking smack about how inaccurate they were. My standard reply was, "Start running. Stop when you feel safe."

There is a big difference in recoil if you shoot .327 and .357 from the same gun (model), i.e. Ruger LCX. Significantly less recoil from the .327...plus, 6 vs 5 rounds in .327 vs .357.
I think an 'extra' round outweighs the advantage of an additional .045 increase in diameter (.357 vs .312) per bullet.
That said, I think a six-shot revolver in.32 Mag is a good package...and one in .327 Mag is great. The Ruger LRX is light. There are other offerings by S&W and other makers that weigh more.

There is a big difference in recoil if you shoot both from the same gun, i.e. Ruger LCX. Significantly less recoil from the .327...plus, 6 vs 5 rounds in .327 vs .357.
I think an 'extra' round outweighs the advantage of an additional .045 increase in diameter (.357 vs .312) per bullet.
.357 mag isn't best suited in a short barrel anyway. Apparently 9mm works better out of a short barrel than the .357. Military Arms Channel on YouTube did a video on it. Pretty interesting results.

I carry a .32 S&W on occasion. Original I frame, 6 shots. Very handy little gun.

Everyone pooh-poohs it, but no one wants to get shot by it.
I carry a 30-1 during farm chores. 6 rounds of hard cast wad cutter uploaded with 'faster than factory' serves well for a broad range of predators and vermin. Coyotes, feral dogs, foxes, racoons and possums have all been dispatched (many if not most after being caught in a trap so no, I'm not bragging about making 50 yard head shots on a running coyote) as well as working great for dropping 150 - 300 lb hogs during hog slaughter.

Penetration > expansion mostly

Ive seen a lot of fragmention rounds tested by people with way more experience than me.

Id rather have a heart shot than a bigger hole. Just based off a LOT of "internet" research.

Velocity > weight but there is a point of diminishing returns, I think.

Id rather have a bullet mushroom and go 12 inches or a bullet over penetrate than for it to disintegrate 4 inches in.

By bad do you mean good? Thinking up picking up some for the 9, didn't know they made it in 380
yep I meant good, the 380 is 50 grain at 1500 fps, tested it on 2 liter bottle of water, the bottle exploded and the round didn't pass thru back side, expended all energy on impact and expanded to 1/2".
WIN_20180809_06_22_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180809_06_24_22_Pro.jpg

Hmmm. Is there a place to buy they locally or do I have to go online? I was going to get some 9mm and I'd like to try the 380 also.

Back
Top Bottom