• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

new pocket pistol caliber question

On the subject of ballistics...this is a little off the OP's topic but ballistics are a lot like statistics: one can pick and choose what he likes. For example:

Someone previously posted he was told his Mini-14 is inherently "inaccurate". Similarly, I was shooting an M1 Carbine on a range and the resident crusty old know-it-all (KIA) declared the M1 Carbine has "no knockdown power". I laughed because the same KIA had previously declared I should replace my Ruger SP101 in .327 with a .357 because (wait for it) the .357 has great knockdown power!

Well, my experience with a 25acp was a close call. I was chasing a perp thru a doorway back in my LEO days, saw him reach up on a mantle as he passed by as I was entering the door frame 15 feet behind him. He retrieved a shiny, 25 semi auto and I saw it as I was ducking behind the door sill, he fired and the bullet struck me right between the headlights, and since I was turning, it was luckily a glancing impact. It did knock me out and made my back up's think I was dead, but I awoke a bit later with my T shirt tired around my noggin. Had it of been straight on, I wouldn't be here replying tot this post. Moral of story is, don't want any caliber hitting a lethal spot, so whatever you use, know it like your lover, so when you do shoot, it'll count.

On the subject of ballistics...this is a little off the OP's topic but ballistics are a lot like statistics: one can pick and choose what he likes. For example:

Someone previously posted he was told his Mini-14 is inherently "inaccurate". Similarly, I was shooting an M1 Carbine on a range and the resident crusty old know-it-all (KIA) declared the M1 Carbine has "no knockdown power". I laughed because the same KIA had previously declared I should replace my Ruger SP101 in .327 with a .357 because (wait for it) the .357 has great knockdown power!

I tend to wander aimlessly off topic.

Other than "track record" Ballistics is a relatively relative. If we arent talking way above my head in quantum theory ect... The E=MC2 should apply to calibers. Dropping an 8 pound bowling ball 3 feet will not cause the same damage if you were to drop it from orbit and somehow it survived reentry. Id rather be hit by a dump truck doing 20 than a civic doing 80. Just about anything can kill you but, you can increase your percentage / effectiveness with more power.

I was cutting grass and having a Nada Banana from our local Omaha Brewing Company yesterday when I got to thinking about pocket pistols. Most people carry a 380, 9mm, or 357/38. Why haven't we seen any new pocket pistol calibers come out? There have been lots of new rifle calibers in the past few years.

Why couldn't you take a 300 blackout case and cut it down more, use a 65 grain .30 caliber bullet, and push it out of the barrel at around 1000 fps or so? Wouldn't something like this have more energy than a 380 with similar recoil?
What advantage would that round have over a 9mm?

yep I meant good, the 380 is 50 grain at 1500 fps, tested it on 2 liter bottle of water, the bottle exploded and the round didn't pass thru back side, expended all energy on impact and expanded to 1/2".
View attachment 1734615 View attachment 1734616

So the bullet did not have enough penetration to go through a water bottle? gonna pass on that. One video somewhere I believe he talks about a round possibly hitting an object like an arm which would stop it from reaching a vital target Think it was the RIP review. Shame he stopped reviews. I think he became ill, If anyone knows what happened feel free to PM me.

Spend a day and watch this guys tests
https://www.youtube.com/user/ShootingTheBull410/videos

Less recoil in a small pocket pistol. I can't imagine that shooting 9mm out of an lcpII sized gun would be very fun.

I wonder how the 22 tcm would do in something LCP size? Would recoil be more than 380, close to 9mm?

Not sure. Its pushing a smaller bullet so thats less recoil but the its higher pressures will add recoil.

I have a 40 and 357 sig but havent compared them side by side yet. Most people ive seen say the 357 is a little less with a lot more muzzle blast. So since these are similar id guess the same outcome. I wish these necked rounds would become more mainstream. I am beginning to believe the have more advantages even though there are a couple disadvantages.

For small revolvers, I like the .327 / .32 mag / .32 long choices.
I with they were more popular, with more guns offered and ammo more common and reasonably priced.

For .32 ACP ammo, I'd like to see that case lengthened from 17 to 19 or 20 mm, the case volume increased by about 5 grains of water, and given a stronger powder charge that would push 70 grain bullet at 1200 ft./s from a 3" barrel.
Call it the .32 AutoMagnum or something.

Being a skinny round, you could probably fit 12 of them in a double-column magazine that's barely long enough to get your pinky finger on the base plate.

Back
Top Bottom