• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

new pocket pistol caliber question

If you neck a 9 x 19 mm down to take a .32 bullet, you're probably going to be duplicating the performance of the .30 Luger (AKA: 7.65 x 21 mm Parabellum). The .30 Luger case is a couple millimeters longer, but it's 9.9 mm wide at the base of the case just forward of the rim. Just like the famous 9mm Parabellum.

It's not a bad round. A 90 grain bullet moving at 1200 f.p.s. from a full sized pistol.
But, you could load a 90-grain bullet (maybe made of non-lead alloys) into a regular 9 x 19 case and give it a larger gunpowder charge than you could use with a 115 or 125 gr. slug in front of that powder.

Perhaps it's not possible to have good velocity and energy in a necked-down pistol caliber that is short enough to fit in, and feed through, a pocket pistol.

The Japanese had a "baby Nambu" pistol before WWII, and it fired a 7mm diameter, 56 gr. bullet through a 3.5" barrel and a measly 800 f.p.s. Not much stopping power there. That's like a .25 acp.

http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/2010/09/28/bottlenecked-handgun-cartridges/

Interesting quotes at the top and bottom of the page

Why use a bottlenecked cartridge at all? Because you can put more energy behind the bullet, in the form of velocity. At the time, bullets were all round-nose jacketed designs, so expansion wasn’t the goal. Also, feeding reliability is improved, since the little bullet has a big hole to get seated in. Take a look at the specifications on the common early bottlenecked cartridges:

When it comes to handguns, I am not an advocate of heavy & slow bullets (they don’t expand). Nor do I put my faith in light & fast bullets (they don’t penetrate). I prefer medium-weight bullets (within a particular caliber) moving fast enough to expand, and I would sacrifice some caliber or bullet weight to get extra velocity. Given the choice of a .32acp carry gun or a .380, I would carry the .32.

How about necking down a .380 case (.374" outside diameter, 17 mm length) to use a new size bullet: An 8.5 mm (.33 caliber) bullet that weighs 85 grains. Call it the "Eighty-Five by 17" and load it up with a strong powder charge that gets 1200 f.p.s. from a short barrel.

How about necking down a .380 case (.374" outside diameter, 17 mm length) to use a new size bullet: An 8.5 mm (.33 caliber) bullet that weighs 85 grains. Call it the "Eighty-Five by 17" and load it up with a strong powder charge that gets 1200 f.p.s. from a short barrel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×25mm_Dillon

115 gr (7 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP 1,800 ft/s (550 m/s) 827 ft⋅lbf (1,121 J)
125 gr (8 g) FMJ-FP Match or Speer Gold Dot JHP 1,700 ft/s (520 m/s) 802 ft⋅lbf (1,087 J)
147 gr (10 g) FMJ-FP 1,495 ft/s (456 m/s) 730 ft⋅lbf (990 J)

A 10 mm Auto necked-down to use 9mm bullets, with a 25mm long case, isnt a "pocket pistol" round.

Yes but with modern metal and stronger springs Im hoping for one. look at the size of 9 pistols now. I can drop 2 in a pocket.
https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p938/

Compacts in 10mm
https://us.glock.com/Products/G29 Gen4
https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-steel-compact-1

Im hoping for a revamped P225 (ish) in single stack 10mm or a revamped P365. If The above 2 links can do it Sig can do it. probably wont happen but if it does Ill be on the list.

Excellent study and report. Of course, it's all just "stats".
;-)

One criticism though is the suggestion that a handgun that also shoots .410 might be more viable than carrying a centerfire rifle (for a "bugout gun") disregards the much longer range of a centerfire rifle in 'reaching out' along with higher ammo capacity even if only a lever action. I'd give a .410 handgun fairly high marks for SD at 5 yds or less...after that, the advantage of multiple projectiles starts to drop sharply.

Thing is, in SHTF scenario, I don't think I would allow too many strangers to approach within 5 yds (or even 10 or 20 or further) before I get really, really nervous. I don't have one of the Taurus Judge but friends do and I've shot them. Seems like a viable option for (urban) home or car defense.

But in the Zombie Apocalypse, the rifle will be King. So if I could only have one gun, it'd be a rifle. With a rifle, I can most likely 'acquire' other arms. 'Cause like, there would probably be um, 'zombies' waving dey Glokz around and um...dropping dey Glokz... 'cause like, zombies don't retain fine motor skills and all that.

One question: when discussing the inability of handgun calibers to pentrate Level III(a) protective vests, I wonder how the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator rounds would perform-?

Since only head shots matter for zombies and the infection somehow makes their skulls softer, a suppressed 9mm sbr would be my choice close combat.

Even though id rather have more power AR15 would be my zombie rifle since ammo, mags and parts are more common.

Those 2 should cover most situations.

Since only head shots matter for zombies and the infection somehow makes their skulls softer..

Yeah no kidding. Before TWD, who knew you can smash skulls with one swing from a collapsible buttstock or compound bow...or even just kicking'em with a tennis shoe?

I've been doing it way too hard all these years.

Interesting test of .410 handgun shooting 000 Buck vs no. 4 Buck

I was surprised at the results.

If you watch the video, I'd move on to about the 2:40 mark. The guy's 2&1/2 minute intro irritates me.

Back
Top Bottom