• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Ruger Wrangler 22lr SA revolver

That's the grip frame that's zinc alloy, the cylinder frame is aluminum alloy.

Which is exacly what I said. Single six is a steel cylinder frame and aluminum grip frame. I would prefer to pay more money and have a gun that will last a lifetime than save a little now, and throw the thing in the trash in a few years when the cheap pot metal breaks.

It seems like Ruger is trying to make "cheap" versions of all of their cool stuff. I know when they came out with the Ruger American 22lr lever rifle, I talked to a guy at the SHOT show about it. Sounded pretty nice but when I asked him about if it was replacing or comparing it to my 77/22, he said there is no comparison when it came to materials and finish. But huge difference in price.

I don't know the size of this one, assuming it's not a Bearcat size frame (I don't see any mention of frame size) so maybe just something to compete with other 22lr revolvers? I'll keep my peacemaker and bearcat thank you very much.

Same size as the single six.

Looks like a good, entry level 22. MSRP is $249... which puts it at under $200 on the street. Compared to the Single-XX guns that are running $700 or more.

Rugers always been about bang-for-the-buck. Glad to see they have the cajones to potentially cannibalize their own sales. They are doing it with the LCR series and the SP-101s, which used to be their 'carry' revolver. They are doing it with the Ruger American rifles taking calibers over from the old M77 guns. Same for the RA Pistols and the SR series.

A lot of companies are afraid to come out with less expensive alternatives to their own products (just check out Apple). But Ruger is doing really well by driving the price points down and getting new shooters guns they can afford.

If course if you want a $700 Single Six, which is about what they go for these days, they'll be happy to sell you one. But the success of the Heritage guns shows there's a real market here, and if Ruger can compete with a US made gun that has a lifetime warranty... all the better.

I will say a Burnt Bronze 'cowboy' gun is something I never thought I'd see.

Damn, I had no idea the single six was selling for that much. I have two of them. One I paid 150 bucks for at a pawn shop. It's a 4" blue model. The other one is a 6" stainless. I traded a Heritage Rough Rider and a Jennings J-22 for it 20 years ago.

Be nice to make an economical line of centerfire single actions-here's my bearcat/shopkeeper View attachment 2093366
I like this one better. Maybe it's the bird head style grip or the wood grips in general. Would it really cost THAT much more for Ruger to put some wood grips on the budget gun? Does Heritage know something they don't ?

Which is exacly what I said. Single six is a steel cylinder frame and aluminum grip frame. I would prefer to pay more money and have a gun that will last a lifetime than save a little now, and throw the thing in the trash in a few years when the cheap pot metal breaks.

If that's what you want then the Single-Six (or Single-Ten) is what you want to be looking at. This is an entry-level, bare bones gun to compete with the Heritage lineup.

From what I can see, Heritage doe the exact same thing though. Zimac frame but an aluminum alloy subframe to hold the cylinder. Makes sense since the grip frame isn't under any real stress

And unlike the Heritage, which has a 1 year warranty, the Ruger is still warranted for life, so it won't have to go in the trash if it breaks.

Yeah, not a fan of that.

I'll admit it's not as authentic as bluing or color case hardening, but it's better than the paint that Heritage uses, and should last the life of the gun. Besides, at $200 street price the bluing would cost more than the rest of the gun.

Back up a minute. A Single Six goes for how much now?!

Cheapest I saw on Buds was $502 (cash price).

If that's what you want then the Single-Six (or Single-Ten) is what you want to be looking at. This is an entry-level, bare bones gun to compete with the Heritage lineup.

From what I can see, Heritage doe the exact same thing though. Zimac frame but an aluminum alloy subframe to hold the cylinder. Makes sense since the grip frame isn't under any real stress

And unlike the Heritage, which has a 1 year warranty, the Ruger is still warranted for life, so it won't have to go in the trash if it breaks.

I'll admit it's not as authentic as bluing or color case hardening, but it's better than the paint that Heritage uses, and should last the life of the gun. Besides, at $200 street price the bluing would cost more than the rest of the gun.

Cheapest I saw on Buds was $502 (cash price).

I own two single sixes. I’m not in the market for another.

I owned a Heritage Rough Rider 20 years ago. I was a young man and it was cheap. The advancing hand broke the first time I took it to the range. Never again.

Back
Top Bottom