• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Ruger Wrangler 22lr SA revolver

I was correct as I was referencing the cylinder frame when I said aluminum, not the grip frame. All the other .22 Ruger cylinder frames are steel so I thought the comparison was obvious. Alloy grip frames are nothing new. I’ll be more pedantic next time.

I wasn’t trying to correct you. Ruger is purposefully leaving the fact the grip frame is zinc off of their website. Honestly it bothers me a little and seems a little dishonest.

I was interested until I learned the grip frame was zinc. I have zero interest in any guns with zinc.

I own two single sixes. I’m not in the market for another.

I owned a Heritage Rough Rider 20 years ago. I was a young man and it was cheap. The advancing hand broke the first time I took it to the range. Never again.

LOL... At least you made it in their 1 year warranty.

I agree 100% on this. I have a Single-Six convertible and it's a solid, well made gun.

But I absolutely think that Ruger is doing the right thing here. There are legions of kids who got into shooting because of the Single-Six back when it was reasonably affordable. However even with modern manufacturing that gun is still too expensive to be a good 'starter' gun for a kid. At it's current price, it's market is really us old folks who remember them from our youths.

Heritage saw this and has been making good money selling their version of the low-priced, single-six type gun, but their product quality is pretty sketchy. I really think Ruger will knock them out of the market, at least for the basic models. Heritage may be relegated to the 'custom' stuff like their buntline models.

I still have a little bit of a problem with a 'cowboy' gun in bronze (looks almost like FDE to me), but kids are used to seeing guns in any color they want these days, so I guess it's not a big deal. Should help them sell well.

I wasn’t trying to correct you. Ruger is purposefully leaving the fact the grip frame is zinc off of their website. Honestly it bothers me a little and seems a little dishonest.

I was interested until I learned the grip frame was zinc. I have zero interest in any guns with zinc.

Not sure why that would be... A zinc alloy (nothing is made with pure zinc) is perfectly fine for non-load bearing parts like a grip frame. Heck, real cowboy guns used brass and cast iron for these parts, and a zinc alloy is a heck of a lot tougher than that.

I think zinc alloys have gotten a bad rap because of their common use by such “firearms” companies as Hi-Point, Raven Arms, Jimenez Arms, Sundance Industries, Lorcin, Davis Industries, and Phoenix Arms. In a lot of these instances, the zinc alloy is called by the industry trade name of Zamak (an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink/zinc, Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer/copper).

LOL... At least you made it in their 1 year warranty.

I agree 100% on this. I have a Single-Six convertible and it's a solid, well made gun.

But I absolutely think that Ruger is doing the right thing here. There are legions of kids who got into shooting because of the Single-Six back when it was reasonably affordable. However even with modern manufacturing that gun is still too expensive to be a good 'starter' gun for a kid. At it's current price, it's market is really us old folks who remember them from our youths.

Heritage saw this and has been making good money selling their version of the low-priced, single-six type gun, but their product quality is pretty sketchy. I really think Ruger will knock them out of the market, at least for the basic models. Heritage may be relegated to the 'custom' stuff like their buntline models.

I still have a little bit of a problem with a 'cowboy' gun in bronze (looks almost like FDE to me), but kids are used to seeing guns in any color they want these days, so I guess it's not a big deal. Should help them sell well.

Oh I don’t fault them one bit. I’m not their target audience and I’m ok with that. They still make the single six and bearcat if for some reason I felt like I needed yet another single action 22.

As I said, really the only issue I have is you have to dig so much to find the grip frame is a zinc alloy.

Not sure why that would be... A zinc alloy (nothing is made with pure zinc) is perfectly fine for non-load bearing parts like a grip frame. Heck, real cowboy guns used brass and cast iron for these parts, and a zinc alloy is a heck of a lot tougher than that.

Same reason I don’t buy polymer guns besides my carry gun.

With the exception of my carry gun I am only interested in handguns that will still be functional when my grandkids pass them down to their grandkids. I stick to steel and aluminum.

I’m getting old. This I realize a little more each day.

Oh I don’t fault them one bit. I’m not their target audience and I’m ok with that. They still make the single six and bearcat if for some reason I felt like I needed yet another single action 22.

As I said, really the only issue I have is you have to dig so much to find the grip frame is a zinc alloy.

That is certainly fair... if you don't dig down to the parts list you would probably come away thinking the whole gun is aluminum alloy.

Same reason I don’t buy polymer guns besides my carry gun.

With the exception of my carry gun I am only interested in handguns that will still be functional when my grandkids pass them down to their grandkids. I stick to steel and aluminum.

I’m getting old. This I realize a little more each day.

LOL.. I hear you. While I do like the whiz-bang latest and greatest tacticool wonder-9 (I bought the FN 509 Tactical a while back), The last gun I bought was the Ruger SR-1911 Officer's Model and the one before that was an Uberti 'shopkeeper' in 45 Long Colt. There's something about the old-style guns that is simply timeless.

Back
Top Bottom