• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Ruger Wrangler 22lr SA revolver

I know that we live in the age of convenience, most people want a plinker, want it now, want the gun store to have it in stock.

But there are plenty of all steel, classic American .22 revolvers floating around for 200, 200+ dollars, H&R, High Standard, Iver Johnson and so on, but because they are out of business and Bob down the street never heard of them, Bob will buy this gun because it's what's on the shelf at the gun store.

Goes to show that the money in gun manufacturing is in cheap entry level guns. Most younger people are not willing to put up $700-1200 for a gun when the entry level gun gives you same or about same performance. Expensive fashion has taken a major back seat to cheap function in the gun world.

Goes to show that the money in gun manufacturing is in cheap entry level guns. Most younger people are not willing to put up $700-1200 for a gun when the entry level gun gives you same or about same performance. Expensive fashion has taken a major back seat to cheap function in the gun world.

But isn't it like this in everything?? You sell more Chevys than Cadillacs, you sell more Wal-Mart blue jeans than high-end designer stuff. Cheaper it is, more people can afford it, and more people equals more customers.

I think Ruger is just going after the novice "cowboy" revolver niche in the market, currently held by Heritage and its Rough Rider. I know I was in this place 5 years ago when I bought a couple RRs. Had the Wrangler been available then for another $40 or so, I might have bought that instead....although I did want .22 mag capability.

Excellent little gun to buy a couple hip holsters and practice some pistol spinning. Everytime I see someone do that I think of that scene in Tombstone when Jonnie Ringo does some amazing pistol work there. Wonder how long he had to rehearse for that. Long time, looong time!

Zinc alloys are no different than steel alloys, there are some that are brittle but strong, and some that are weaker but more flexible.

A real zinc alloy isn't 'pot metal' though... That's a term that came from the car factories back in the 40's and 50, where they would take everything non-ferrous left on the factory floor and melt it all down to make cheap cast parts for things like emblems. They didn't care about the strength or hardness for that kind of thing, so the actual alloy was never really planned out... it was just 'pot metal'.

The zinc alloys used in Hi Points and I'm sure in the Ruger wouldn't be 'pot metal', and might not even be Zamac, although given that there are 5 different alloy mixes called Zamac, it's probably is one of them.

I think that's always been true though. When I bought my first rifle at 19, it wasn't a high-end Remington or Savage, it was a Ruger 10/22 that I could buy at Sears for $89 plus tax and shoot for 2 cents a round. The low-cost, guns are what most entry level people, especially kids, have always started with.

I know that we live in the age of convenience, most people want a plinker, want it now, want the gun store to have it in stock.

But there are plenty of all steel, classic American .22 revolvers floating around for 200, 200+ dollars, H&R, High Standard, Iver Johnson and so on, but because they are out of business and Bob down the street never heard of them, Bob will buy this gun because it's what's on the shelf at the gun store.

That's exactly it.

I've bought a few High Standards off here, but if I was new to guns I wouldn't know to even look for them, and I certainly wouldn't know how to find one that still works.

This is an all American (Ruger is 100% US manufactured from what I've seen), entry level pistol with a finish that will last forever and a lifetime warranty... for the same as one of those orphans you mentioned. I couldn't blame Bob for buying this, especially if he wasn't knowledgeable on how to check used revolvers.

Entry level guns may not be for everyone, but are important for getting many people into shooting sports who would have not otherwise if there were no lower cost firearms to access. I say Ruger is making a smart move by offering more lower cost alternative products to get more people into the sport and lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom