• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New SUV "to me" choices...

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, it has come time to replace the ole ride and I have whittled it down to three choices. 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited, or Toyota 4Runner. I have a GC now and love the Hemi and AWD, but the 3rd row seating option of the 4Runner is a real advantage with the kids. The Wrangler is a ton of fun, but it's got a horrible tow rating and no good way of carrying the kayaks.

Who has experience with each?

We have had a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler. My wife just bought a new 4 Runner. I will have to say that of all of them, I like the 4 Runner the best. The new Toyotas are a lot more comfortable than the used to be. I always felt like I was sitting on the floor.

We've had a Cherokee, and two Grand Cherokees. My wife still drives a GC. Always had six cylinders. The 2004 GC was excellent. While we've had no problems with the 2007 GC, they changed the engine and it's not as responsive as the one in the 2004.
I drive a Toyota Tacoma. Love the truck. The 4Runner is an excellent choice IMO.

The 4Runner is what I have been leaning to. It's a little lackluster in power, but I really like the 3rd row. I'd love another Wrangler, but I drove a Rubicon 2dr TJ for close to 10-years. It was a fun vehicle, but even the 4dr doesn't really serve all my needs. The Grand Cherokee has been a good car, but reliability on the GC has always been hit or miss. The Toyota has nothing but good reviews...

I cross shopped the Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and the 4Runner Trail Edition. The Jeep is cool and is more capable off road, but they are just so uncomfortable to me considering the price. That's coming from someone who had a 1966 CJ5 for many years. The 4Runner is not quite as awesome off road as the Rubicon, but the Trail Edition has a rear locker that gives it much more off road ability than most 4x4 SUVs.

The 4Runner is super comfortable for long highway rides and from what I can gather they are much, much more reliable than the Jeeps.

Back
Top Bottom