• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New SUV "to me" choices...

4-runner gets my vote, just don't get too excited about that 3rd row, its actually really small. Gas mileage isnt great either. If you can look past those two things, I would definitely vote Toyota.

The only Grand Cherokee I would own would be the SRT-8, They just lost their appeal after 2004. Went to the 7 motors, and quality really suffered IMHO. They look great, but I question their longevity compared to the models that gave them their great rep in the early 2000's.

I use to sell the Jeeps, and took several Wranglers home quite a bit. My personal opinion was mentioned by someone above. Great weekend/toy car, awful daily drivers. Noisy, ride is terrible (again, maybe not for a toy, but I found it quite annoying to drive for more than short distances), space is actually quite limited for what they are. Handle terrible. If you lift them, especially with a body lift, they feel like the wander in the lane on the highway pretty bad. I can say they hold crazy resale value. People will pay stupid money for those, even used. 4 Runners hold good resale as well, but those Wranglers are in a different class.

Of those choices though, the 4-Runner is a great option.

The newest generation 4runners are the only ones with a 3rd row option.

They had third row in very few of the 4th gen 4runners but it was an option. But they are a lot more common on the newer 5th gen. You should also check out the Lexus gx460 they are based of of the Toyota prado overseas and share the same chassis as the 4runner but have the 4.6 liter v8 and third row.

They had third row in very few of the 4th gen 4runners but it was an option. But they are a lot more common on the newer 5th gen. You should also check out the Lexus gx460 they are based of of the Toyota prado overseas and share the same chassis as the 4runner and have the 4.6 liter v8 and third row.

Is the V-8 available on the 5th gen ?
I've had two runners , a 95 and a 96 and the 3.0 in the 95 was very underpowered and the 3.4 in the 96 was barely adequate

If you need space , I'd suggest looking at a 6-8 yr old expedition
We got one cheap , and it has tons of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the v8 is not available on the 5th gen 4runners. Yeah the 3.0 are my least favorite toyota engine. I have a 95.5 single cab tacoma with the 3.4 and it will fly, but the 01 4runner i had that is now my father in laws was a lot more sluggish. I haven't owned a 4th gen 4runner but I have had a 06 tacoma with the 4.0 and I have a 01 Land Cruiser now with the 4.7 v8 and i honestly don't think you could go wrong with either engine. The 5th gen 4runner changed to only have the 4.0 but it has improved some since they first started making them. My wifes 2015 limited 4x4 4runner was a great vehicle.

I just had a similar debate I was looking at the grand Cherokee or 4runner. I was sold on the 4Runner best resale value for the segment, Good reliable proven engine. I was able to find a trd pro though so that kind of made the decision easier ;)

The 3rd row on any midsize suv is a selling point not a functional piece. We can't wait to sell our 2015 Cherokee and get into a Toyota 4Runner.

Back
Top Bottom