• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Ham Radio

Aries4790

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
66   0
Reaction score
A group of friends and I and looking at getting into ham radios for when we go hiking/hunting and just for general fun. That being said I would like to get a feel for what everyone thinks is a good "all around" handheld device, taking into account price, durability, power, etc.

Depending on where you live, there is usually a local ham club. Most hams are more than happy to help with any questions you might have or where to take your test to get your licence. There are a lot of cheap Chinese made handheld ham radios available now. I have one but can't speak to durability. I mainly bough tit because it was only $35. It works but I'd rather have an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood if it was something I wanted to always be reliable.

Good luck and have fun with it,
Ben, W4TDX

Depending on where you live, there is usually a local ham club. Most hams are more than happy to help with any questions you might have or where to take your test to get your licence. There are a lot of cheap Chinese made handheld ham radios available now. I have one but can't speak to durability. I mainly bough tit because it was only $35. It works but I'd rather have an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood if it was something I wanted to always be reliable.

Good luck and have fun with it,
Ben, W4TDX
I bought the same radio...$36 I believe it was. Nice radio for the $$$ but I don't know squat about Ham radio and the licensing.

I may have to go with 1 of the cheap Chinese made ones to start off...I was just looking at the price of some of the Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood...I don't think my wife will let me drop that kind of money on something I can't explain yet lol

I may have to go with 1 of the cheap Chinese made ones to start off...I was just looking at the price of some of the Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood...I don't think my wife will let me drop that kind of money on something I can't explain yet lol

Just say it's a new magazine for one of your guns. lol

Back
Top Bottom