• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to hunting

Haha…picked up my first can of nose hammer at Wally World today.
Stuff ain’t cheap but I’ll give it a shot.
They had plenty available today.
I’m curious if it will attract or repel gnats and skeeters.

I would say you are 50% correct. If the wind is blowing away for the deer you're right. Blowing towards them you're wrong. For probably 10 years I was bow only. I've been blown at more time than I can count. The nose jammer isn't 100% but I would give it 90% success rate of not having deer blow at me down wind while hunting from the ground at ranges up to 20 yards. I've seen them stick their noses up in the air smelling but not spook many times. I do a good bit of hunting on the ground and I'll give myself every advantage I can. Your mileage may vary but this has been my experience. I spend probably more time in the woods than anybody I know and this is just my observations.
Question:
Have you taken any mature bucks while using that stuff?
I can see does and young bucks not paying much attention to that as a danger sign but curious if anyone nabbed a mature buck NOT during the rut using that spray.

Question:
Have you taken any mature bucks while using that stuff?
I can see does and young bucks not paying much attention to that as a danger sign but curious if anyone nabbed a mature buck NOT during the rut using that spray.
I tagged out last year with a good 8 and a 9. Didn’t bother them.

Georgia DNR organizes classes and events for youth and adults. Check their magazine and the web site for what is available. I brought my kids to several of them, squirrels, doves, rabbit, quails, turkey, and we went back every year so much we enjoyed it. They have deer too. You will learn the basics and a lot of other things. NOW it is probably the right time to apply for what they have organized for the fall.
Yes, it’s called Hunt and Learn.

I have never been fortunate to hunt during my adult life except for people on the other side trying to hunt and shoot me. Make no mistake, if they shoot you they delight in shinning and gutting you, especially if you are still alive after being shot. But I digress,

As a youngster and early teens I had a neighbor that would take me and his son out squirrel hunting. We would walk and talk and shoot at things. The only squirrels we ever shot was when my friend, David, shot into a nest and 2 small squirrels fell to the ground. We took them back to his house and his dad knocked them in the head with the butt of a butcher knife then skinned them and fried them up. They ate them, I didn't want any.

Shortly after that I was off to the Air Force and places where there was no hunting except the combat zones. So, that got me through to my mid 40s. I retired and started the job of working and buying a house and raising a child and all that stuff. Dad was busy fishing with my brother in law (they took me once but it was no fun as they just talked to each other and I just looked at the water). Dad and Brother in law mike are long since dead.

I have collected a lot of guns, even as a lad (Dad gave all my guns to either my brother in law or sold them to my neighbor and split the money with BIL). So, I had a good paying job but not much time off. I bought guns and ammo but never went hunting. Much to my loss. Now I am almost 71 and have never killed a deer or dressed one either. Actually haven't been in the woods in years and years.

So, I do enjoy listening/reading the tales of the hunt here, knowing I'll never be out on a stand or following a blood trail. My family won't eat venison or any other wild animal as we have had friends give some to us and it was given away and never cooked. So, keep telling your stores and passing along good tips. I'll remember them but never get to use them.

Take care and be safe out there. Don't fall out of those tree stands or off your 4 wheelers.

One thing I believe you should hold to for your future hunting creed. Don't just kill anything in your path for that season. This doesn't pertain to small game to a degree. However in deer season let some spike bucks deer go mature before harvesting. Bag a trophy or let it walk. Same with turkey and other bigger game. There are hunters and then there are just plain old killers. By all means if you are not going to make good use of the meat then don't kill. Eat it or donate to a food source for the poor ( has to be professionally butcherd ). Live by that code and feel good about your harvest.

Now coyotes and hogs, blast until you hearts content. That's a good way to start. Hogs from the wild taste just like grocery store pork. They eat cleanly in nature, roots, berries, foliage and the likes. It's a tough hunt but get good andt that and you can track or hunt any game animal.

Back
Top Bottom