• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to hunting

W Beard

Default rank <750 posts
His eminence
22   0
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place or not. I have hunted a couple times over the years but only for doves. I would love to learn more but no one in my family hunts. If anyone if looking for a hunting partner then I would enjoy tagging along and learning this coming fall.

For anyone willing can do a trading of skills. I used to be an amateur fly fisherman (and have lots of gear) and willing to teach that in exchange.

It's a bit far from you, but I'd be more than happy to go with you to one of my local wma's, Albany nursery or chickasawhatchee, I think small game starts in August. Squirrels are a great gateway to hunting.

Not sure if this is the best place or not. I have hunted a couple times over the years but only for doves. I would love to learn more but no one in my family hunts. If anyone if looking for a hunting partner then I would enjoy tagging along and learning this coming fall.

For anyone willing can do a trading of skills. I used to be an amateur fly fisherman (and have lots of gear) and willing to teach that in exchange.
I have written about this extensively in the past. I would recommend paying for a guided hunt the first time out.

Kinda like flying an airplane, There is only about 100 things to know. But you'll need to know all 100 at once, if you are going to bag an animal. If you do some shopping around you can find a guide that will teach & you will bring home a trophy.

There are probably a few guys here who can provide a similar hookup.

There is a number of things I have learned just from a lot of time in the woods. Some of the biggest things for me really is learning things like field dressing/skinning. That is stuff I learn best hands on.

If I had the money I would give a holler to a guy I used to fly fish against (we both did competitions). He is a hunting guide last I heard out in Colorado, but that isnt quite in the budget to do for quite a while.

It's a bit far from you, but I'd be more than happy to go with you to one of my local wma's, Albany nursery or chickasawhatchee, I think small game starts in August. Squirrels are a great gateway to hunting.

Couldn't agree more. Squirrel hunting is where everybody started back in the old days. Grab your dove gun, cheap camo, orange vest, and a box of #6 high brass and get out in the woods. August 15th opens small game season, chiggers suck but its a part of the learning curve, don't forget to hydrate, have fun and eat good. Don't worry about wolves (botfly larvae) unless the meat looks off-colored. Big ones go for squirrel gravy or dumplings, small ones fry up like chicken wings. Hardwood forest squirrels taste better the ones you shoot out of a pine thicket.

Don’t watch the trophy hunter videos, they’re unrealistic compared to real world hunting.

I hunted and stalked on the ground for years before I was encouraged to get a climber.
I was really opposed to it at first until I got up there and realized just how much more you can see deer when hunting from high up.
But you better practice your archery from high up so you can make your shots count.
I pretty much spend most time on ladders now as I have several locations I hunt from as I have them set up in areas I’ve scouted and know their patterns.
I also use a lightweight climber for my steep mountain hunts with minimalist gear for spots I know the big bucks are hanging at briefly .
I still stalk as well but as far as hunting goes, you can read all the books, hear all the advice and watch all the shows but nothing beats first hand experience by just getting out there on your own, finding some sign and sticking around to see what comes by.
Tricks, lures and sure tactics will come with time.

Too much lure will spook smart deer that know the area.
Too much calling will also.

Best to not stink , don’t worry about lures and scents, find some acorns near some deer stomped trails and wait it out.
Early morning before sun up, mid day and an hour before dusk will be your best times to get on stand.
Now forget everything I just said and get scouting.

Don’t forget your safety harness and catch line when you go high.

There is a number of things I have learned just from a lot of time in the woods. Some of the biggest things for me really is learning things like field dressing/skinning. That is stuff I learn best hands on.

If I had the money I would give a holler to a guy I used to fly fish against (we both did competitions). He is a hunting guide last I heard out in Colorado, but that isnt quite in the budget to do for quite a while.
Youtube is great, they've got awesome video's on field dressing. Don't over think it. Heck I talked @crippen though cleaning his first deer a few years back over the phone. I hate to plug another site but GON deer hunting section has some great information. Read all you can. Any specific questions shoot me a pm and I would be glad to help. If it get's in your blood you'll know it.

Lot's of great points here. Remember the only thing that makes a deer a trophy is a good clean kill. Don't let horn hunter's discourage you. I let the fawns walk and if I need meat everything else is in trouble.
Heck I don't even use scents and the only time I use a grunt call is if a deer has been spotted and is going the other way. It's great way to bring them back. Blind calling just never seems to work out for me.
This seems to work the best for me to keep me from being busted. I cover myself head to toe and have had a ton of deer 30 yards down wind that didn't spook.
Nose-00329-8oz-Bonus-Nose-Jammer.jpg

Youtube is great, they've got awesome video's on field dressing. Don't over think it. Heck I talked @crippen though cleaning his first deer a few years back over the phone. I hate to plug another site but GON deer hunting section has some great information. Read all you can. Any specific questions shoot me a pm and I would be glad to help. If it get's in your blood you'll know it.

Yes Sir, youtube taught me a lot of cool stuff over the years.
Kinda like reading five books on one subject to make you knowledgeable on a subject.
The same goes for watching five different youtube videos on field dressing a deer.
Learning from them all is great yet you’ll find out that you will learn your own ways to do it that suits your needs and habits.

^^^^I need to try some of that nose jammer….haha.
Ive had good luck with ever calm on my boots.
Been surprisingly lucky to call several deer in from cold calls from my stands over the years.
Some more than others.

Got lucky one season on a snowy day and just did two doe bleats five minutes from being in my stand and two bucks came fighting up the path running towards me.
I was able to take a beautiful 8 point that morning.
I dragged it up the back yard a half hour after I went into the woods and my wife was at the window shaking hear head and smiling at my loser ass….lol.

So weird how it’s just totally hit an miss when it comes to deer hunting.
I swear deer are like women….the more we think we understand them the more we realize we don’t.

Ever have a buck sneak up and click his teeth at you?

Yes Sir, youtube taught me a lot of cool stuff over the years.
Kinda like reading five books on one subject to make you knowledgeable on a subject.
The same goes for watching five different youtube videos on field dressing a deer.
Learning from them all is great yet you’ll find out that you will learn your own ways to do it that suits your needs and habits.

^^^^I need to try some of that nose jammer….haha.
Ive had good luck with ever calm on my boots.
Been surprisingly lucky to call several deer in from cold calls from my stands over the years.
Some more than others.

Got lucky one season on a snowy day and just did two doe bleats five minutes from being in my stand and two bucks came fighting up the path running towards me.
I was able to take a beautiful 8 point that morning.
I dragged it up the back yard a half hour after I went into the woods and my wife was at the window shaking hear head and smiling at my loser ass….lol.

So weird how it’s just totally hit an miss when it comes to deer hunting.
I swear deer are like women….the more we think we understand them the more we realize we don’t.

Ever have a buck sneak up and click his teeth at you?
I had a little 4 point that clicked at me a few years back. It was wild. That nose jammer is awesome. It smells like vanilla and it strong. Don't be afraid to cover yourself with it though. I don't go to the woods without it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom