• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Reloading and on a Budget

i had a rcbs rockchucker since 1977 I still use it . I do not like there powder measures so I chose a redding 10x powder measure which is much more accurate than an rcbs in my opinion. I also use an rcbs hand held primer. I have had years of trouble free reloading good luck. the most important thing is ROLL TIDE ROLL

I started reloading with used equipment bought from a friend for $130 and a Lyman manual for $15 or so. I loaded 30-06 and .45. It became addictive when my rifle shot better than it ever had with factory ammo, and I could shoot 2 boxes of .45 for what 1 box of 9 was selling for, using commercially cast bullets. I have never been able to shoot a rifle better than it would shoot with factory ammo, unless there was a bench or bipod in use. However, I have a great time loading full power hunting ammo for 8x57, the stuff you buy at the store is underpowered. Casting and powdercoating bullets for big bore applications. Casting muzzleloader minie balls does save a ton of money. If you just want to shoot on the cheap, buy an ak or sks. If your interests cause you to desire incressing performance, shooting obsolete rounds, being able to shoot big bore cheaply, and enjoy shooting sports while not at the range, go for it. Buy an RCBS kit because you will always need the scale etc. Reloading was never black magic until the interwebs, and people wanting to seem impressive starting spreading b.s. In teach about 2 people yearly to reload. Following good safety procedures, it is safer that driving on the interstste. Also buying in bulk and on sale brings down the costs.

I started with a Turret press. There was a steep learning curve. I eventually moved up to a Dillon 650, so I could load much faster. Not sure I could have grasped everything that is going on at once had I started with a progressive press. Just my 2¢. YMMV.

You can buy rock chucker RCBS kit for around $500 and less used and it comes with lifetime warranty. I have been using mine for 43 years and love it.

I agree with coach482 -- You and others are over thinking this.

I would add start with a reloading manual -- I prefer lymans but most are good --
You can start inexpensively with used tooling, most tooling does not get worn out -
You spend more to save time and convenience, not for need --

A little note to remember about life:

You can buy oats two (2) ways:

step to the front of the horse and get fresh, moist, great tasting, and really nutritious oats,

or step to the rear,

get oats that are freshly, and recently recycled...

Only you can chose...

A little note to remember about life:

You can buy oats two (2) ways:

step to the front of the horse and get fresh, moist, great tasting, and really nutritious oats,

or step to the rear,

get oats that are freshly, and recently recycled...

Only you can chose...

Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Back
Top Bottom