• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Reloading and on a Budget

.45 acp is a good place to start because it is relatively low pressure. Cast bullets are also cheap. Just make sure you get flat base, and not beveled as it is easier to avoid leading.

dont skimp on case prep tools. pocket uniformers, flash holes, neck turner if you are going to go that deep or use bushing dies...case trimmer, list goes on...it IS time consuming.

.45 acp is a good place to start because it is relatively low pressure. Cast bullets are also cheap. Just make sure you get flat base, and not beveled as it is easier to avoid leading.
It used to be easy, now with large and small primer cases it is a pain in the arse.

Don't start with an automatic progressive press. Get a manual turret progressive press. I started early last spring. I've loaded 5.56, 9mm,.308 and 300 BO. I had to stop everything middle of June last year. It was awesome, but I don't have time between everything else in my life, including family. I have a Dillon 550b after attempting to start with a Lee pro 1000. The Lee was cheap, automatic primer feeder sucked and it was to much for me to start with. The Dillon has been great and feels like a solid piece of equipment. Loading for AR style rifles is kind of unfulfilling as your limited in LOA. When you start to custom load for individual bolt rifles chambers is where it really becomes cool! Get a hand primer, swag tool for your press, chrono and a case prep/trimmer center. I hope your old, have no young kids and can shoot out to at least 100 yards close by. It sucked me in for months, then I realized where my time was better spent. I will jump back in when I truly have down time. I'd rather shoot with my kids, ride 4 wheelers, be involved in their daily lives, kick ass at work, maintain my yard/house and take time out with the wife.

The title says, "New to reloading on a Budget". But your considering a Dillon 650.... I wish my budget was as good as yours. But in all seriousness...
If you're dead set on a progressive press then I guess Dillon is the way to go.
I just recently got a Lee classic turret but prior to that, I produced thousands of rounds on the Lee Challenger single stage and completed many functions using the hand press. Never had an issue.
I don't think you need to be so concerned with injuring yourself or blowing your hands off. I would be more concerned about it with a progressive press because you do not have as much control over every aspect and there is a lot happening with every pull. Since you are not experienced, you may not have a feel of something going wrong. On a turret or single stage, you are very in tune with every aspect.

Back
Top Bottom