• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New To Reloading: Press Questions

If you are new to reloading you may want to start off with a single stage.. RCBS ROckchucker would be a good start

I went with a single stage.

I would never trust any progressive with high power rifle ammo. I know a lot of people do, but I want more control than a progressive could give me with that.

I also like the way a single stage will sorta force you to slow down and handle things thoroughly. I like to handle each cartridge a lot. Easier to feel an imperfection than to see one.

This guy has a GREAT series! I like the way he thinks. (He does a apologize a LOT for lighting and camera angles, but if you just wade through that-the actual content is very well done!)

*One other reason I didn't go with a progressive is expense. It gets expensive to feed one of those bad boys. I can't afford to drop the necessary coin to load too many rounds at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I could imagine a progressive working out well for a new guy would be if you have a close neighbor who has one just like it-and that neighbor really knows what he is doing. I have heard of a couple of guys who are blessed with that situation.... But they usually run their neighbors crazy trying to get them set up right.

I would definitely want to really get the basics down before jumping full bore into progressives. The marketing videos make them all look like a snap. They aren't as easy as the videos make them look.

I have a hornady single stage with the locking die lugs. So far I am very pleased. Once your die is set up, you just pop it out and pop a new one in. You don't have to mess with setting up each die over and over. Really nice feature. Only criticism I have is that the primer seating tool is not great. I prefer to hand primer with one of those primer tray presses. Seems to do a better job.

I have seen some videos on the lee turret and I think thats going to be a good happy medium for me. Not to mention less expensive. I sure do appreciate all of the advice. I plan on doing alot of reading.

The only way I could imagine a progressive working out well for a new guy would be if you have a close neighbor who has one just like it-and that neighbor really knows what he is doing. I have heard of a couple of guys who are blessed with that situation.... But they usually run their neighbors crazy trying to get them set up right.

I would definitely want to really get the basics down before jumping full bore into progressives. The marketing videos make them all look like a snap. They aren't as easy as the videos make them look.

I have a hornady single stage with the locking die lugs. So far I am very pleased. Once your die is set up, you just pop it out and pop a new one in. You don't have to mess with setting up each die over and over. Really nice feature. Only criticism I have is that the primer seating tool is not great. I prefer to hand primer with one of those primer tray presses. Seems to do a better job.

Alright guys. Thanks a bunch for the response. I have decided that a Lee Classic Turret 4 Hole will serve me best. I think I will pick up a Lee single stage for brass prep as well. I feel like since I will mostly deal with OF brass that the single stage will allow me to decap and resize before inspection. I know I can configure a stage on the turret for that but I feel like redundancy at this stage of learning is a good thing. Plus, I like seperating the processes.

Anyone have any leads on 10mm brass?

Thanks guys. I just ordered a Classic Turret to go along with my single and progressive presses. Now I just have to explain why I bought another press since I ordered a new Pro 1000 last week.

I agree with what jcountry said about learning on a progressive. If you can learn with someone who is already set up on one it is much easier to learn the quirks. I use my progressive for .40 and just had one for .45 arrive last week, but I still weigh about every 5th charge and check OAL on every round. I use my single stage when working on new loads. I plan on using the turret on some of my secondary calibers that I don't use as heavily.

Safe loading friend!

Alright guys. Thanks a bunch for the response. I have decided that a Lee Classic Turret 4 Hole will serve me best. I think I will pick up a Lee single stage for brass prep as well. I feel like since I will mostly deal with OF brass that the single stage will allow me to decap and resize before inspection. I know I can configure a stage on the turret for that but I feel like redundancy at this stage of learning is a good thing. Plus, I like seperating the processes.

Anyone have any leads on 10mm brass?

They do batches, they are out now but best source for new brass. https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/all-cases.cfm

I started with a Lee Turret and used it for about 20 years. Of course many of those years I was not into shooting and it just sat. I only reloaded .45 ACP until about 4 years ago and bought a 9mm set of dies and tackled learning another caliber. About 3 years ago I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal that was set up for .45 and ran both presses. The dillon for .45 and the Lee for 9mm. I use Unique powder for both rounds. I have never felt the need to start powder shopping, it goes bang, lots of data on the net about loading with Unique and impossible to double charge a 9mm. The case is almost full with a standard charge! This summer I bought the 9mm conversion kit for the dillon and sold the Lee. Nice to be able to knock out about 100 rounds in 15 minutes!

Good luck with learning to reload. Stock up on reloading supplies when you can.

I started with a Lee Turret and used it for about 20 years. Of course many of those years I was not into shooting and it just sat. I only reloaded .45 ACP until about 4 years ago and bought a 9mm set of dies and tackled learning another caliber. About 3 years ago I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal that was set up for .45 and ran both presses. The dillon for .45 and the Lee for 9mm. I use Unique powder for both rounds. I have never felt the need to start powder shopping, it goes bang, lots of data on the net about loading with Unique and impossible to double charge a 9mm. The case is almost full with a standard charge! This summer I bought the 9mm conversion kit for the dillon and sold the Lee. Nice to be able to knock out about 100 rounds in 15 minutes!

Good luck with learning to reload. Stock up on reloading supplies when you can.

BEST thing that anyone every told me was to use bluedot with my .45
Damn case was almost full with a single charge!
a double charge and it runneth over...

Dirty as hell, and it wound up actually costing me more per round than the IMR I run now, but in the long run it probably saved me a few barrels and/or my hand.

I just put together my first reloading "kit" using tools from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc. Based on the advice of trusted forum regulars, I decided to start slow and deliberately learn the basics. My first press is a Lee Classic Cast single-stage. Due to a lack of component availability, I've so far only been able to tumble, decap, size and trim batches of brass.. But this seems like an excellent place to start.

Back
Top Bottom