• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading

Got a manual in the mail I wouldn't dare try without one, watched too many bad reload videos to try anything without knowing what I was doing

all the powder manufactures have loading data online at their websites.
thats the safest place to get data to start with.
there is an infinite number of calibers and also powders, what works in a Magnum don't usually work in a non magnum caliber best, what works in a rifle don't normally work well in a pistol.
Many pistol powders started life out as Shotgun powders, so lots to learn.
depends on what you want you cartridge to do as well, reloading for target rounds is seldom the same as reloading for hunting or defense rounds.
Any of the American Primers are fine, the foreign primers may be hard and cause difficulty in some weapons.
I would guess that Unique is likely the most universal powder out there, but even its not the best choice in every case and it don't drop measure worth a flip.

all the powder manufactures have loading data online at their websites.
thats the safest place to get data to start with.
there is an infinite number of calibers and also powders, what works in a Magnum don't usually work in a non magnum caliber best, what works in a rifle don't normally work well in a pistol.
Many pistol powders started life out as Shotgun powders, so lots to learn.
depends on what you want you cartridge to do as well, reloading for target rounds is seldom the same as reloading for hunting or defense rounds.
Any of the American Primers are fine, the foreign primers may be hard and cause difficulty in some weapons.
I would guess that Unique is likely the most universal powder out there, but even its not the best choice in every case and it don't drop measure worth a flip.
Mainly just starting out on target loads for now till I get a little more experice reloading then I'll go to defence rounds, I'll check the powder manufacturer websites for the data on them thanks for that tip!

I like using Barry's plated bullets, cheap and they fire just fine.

agreed!
I have used Berrys and Ranier in the past for many years, but now Extreme has better prices, many times at 10-15% discount on or near the Holiday as well as cheap shipping.
their performance matches the other manufactures and I have found customer service to be excellent.
I push 10 MM and 38 Super pretty hard and they perform very well and are accurate.

You might want to look at published 9mm and 7.62 Tok data to see if there is one powder that is well suited to both. I'm guessing a medium speed pistol powder will probably work well in both those cartridges. See if the data references have loads for both cartridges for Winchester 231 or HP38 (same powder, different brand/packaging). Those are pretty easy to find on retail shelves.

And don't worry too much about which powder and primers you choose, as long as you find recipes from trusted sources. When you are getting started, it's less about performance than learning. Be sure to start on the lower end of the charge ranges, get a sense of performance from the recoil vs. what you are used to from factory ammo. Work your way up slowly. Eventually, you may want a chronograph, but for now, gage the round based on recoil and successfully operating the gun's action. Don't make a large batch of anything until you've learned a bit and are comfortable that you've got a solid, consistent load that works in your gun(s).

Also, I would suggest focusing on 9mm with jacketed or plated bullets for your first attempts. Bottleneck cartridges are slightly more complicated. Do a few runs of 9mm first, and then start immersing yourself in reading/online discussion of 7.62 Tok reloading tips and techniques.

You might want to look at published 9mm and 7.62 Tok data to see if there is one powder that is well suited to both. I'm guessing a medium speed pistol powder will probably work well in both those cartridges. See if the data references have loads for both cartridges for Winchester 231 or HP38 (same powder, different brand/packaging). Those are pretty easy to find on retail shelves.

And don't worry too much about which powder and primers you choose, as long as you find recipes from trusted sources. When you are getting started, it's less about performance than learning. Be sure to start on the lower end of the charge ranges, get a sense of performance from the recoil vs. what you are used to from factory ammo. Work your way up slowly. Eventually, you may want a chronograph, but for now, gage the round based on recoil and successfully operating the gun's action. Don't make a large batch of anything until you've learned a bit and are comfortable that you've got a solid, consistent load that works in your gun(s).

Also, I would suggest focusing on 9mm with jacketed or plated bullets for your first attempts. Bottleneck cartridges are slightly more complicated. Do a few runs of 9mm first, and then start immersing yourself in reading/online discussion of 7.62 Tok reloading tips and techniques.
Yes sir I wanna get basic bullet loading down before j try anything bottle neck

Back
Top Bottom