• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading

HxX20

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
Thinking about getting into reloading. I shoot a lot of suppressed subsonic 300 blackout and would like to be able to reload my own bullets. Have no idea what I need or even where to start. Can y’all help me out with what I would need to get started? Possibly post some links? Thanks in advance for the help.

Thinking about getting into reloading. I shoot a lot of suppressed subsonic 300 blackout and would like to be able to reload my own bullets. Have no idea what I need or even where to start. Can y’all help me out with what I would need to get started? Possibly post some links? Thanks in advance for the help.
An rcbs rock crusher is a good starter press, dies from some maker, I been using a tumbler for about 25 yrs, I would go with stainless rods and wet system,lemon, soap of some sort and a liquid tumbler, if u like to make stuff, look up on line how to make 1 of these yourself..saves of $..and is a good system, using the wet tumble reduces lead born particles in the air! You’ll need a caliper, and some kind of scales, u can pick both of these things up for not too much..or if u want u can pay a lot..just shop, you will need a flip tray for primers, a sledge, for the primer pockets, and a way to trim the brass..once again if u shop around, u can find all this stuff for not a lot..or u can just buy a kit that has everything in it..look up Dillon..rcbs..Lee..there is a lot of options

An rcbs rock crusher is a good starter press, dies from some maker, I been using a tumbler for about 25 yrs, I would go with stainless rods and wet system,lemon, soap of some sort and a liquid tumbler, if u like to make stuff, look up on line how to make 1 of these yourself..saves of $..and is a good system, using the wet tumble reduces lead born particles in the air! You’ll need a caliper, and some kind of scales, u can pick both of these things up for not too much..or if u want u can pay a lot..just shop, you will need a flip tray for primers, a sledge, for the primer pockets, and a way to trim the brass..once again if u shop around, u can find all this stuff for not a lot..or u can just buy a kit that has everything in it..look up Dillon..rcbs..Lee..there is a lot of options
A swedge not a sledge

good God....here we go again....is this every week??? nothing personal, however a simple search will revel the past posts on this subject
HxX20...glad you have the interest!!! many here can help

books. lots of books (reloading manuals have reloading info in them)
press (RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, etc). start with single stage
dies (any brand, maybe Lee with the factory crimp die if you are going to do 300bo)

accessories is the big thing:
powder measure scale
system to trim brass to correct length after sizing
way to clean brass (tumbler)
then the components: brass, bullets, primers, powder. You'll need a couple of powders to start with depending upon if you want subs or supers. same for bullets.

best thing is to buy a set up from someone that is getting out of it. or buy a full setup like this one:

still missing stuff like a way to clean the brass and a way to trim to length but for a basic kit it'll get you started and then you can add parts as needed or find second hand ones.

Started a little over two years ago, great advice already, either the RCBS or Hornady package (what I got) is a great way to get started. Brass, powder and primers are much more available now than when I started, and I did start to load 6.5 and 300 BO - both supers and subs. Buy at least two manuals and read the front sections on the history of bullets, great information. Get a notebook and write down everything

Definitely find someone to shadow after you watch a lot of videos and read through the loading manuals. I had a gentleman sit with me for four hours when I bought his press and show me the basics. That was a starting point and with a little more research and caution, you will be up and going. One golden rule is if you are ever in doubt about any powder charge, bullet or anything, scrap the batch, pull them apart and start over.

Here's a barebones list of stuff you'll need:
  • A press
  • .300 BO brass cases
  • Case lube
  • Dies and shell holder (Full length and bullet seater)
  • Dial Calipers
  • Case trimmer *not every case needs to be trimmed every time* (Lee makes a cheap handheld that works fine, or see the L.E. Wilson mini lathe type)
  • Primers (Small rifle for .300 BO)
  • Primer tool (hand held or can be done on most presses)
  • Powder (look online for what other people use)
  • *Powder thrower is optional, as you can trim down a case to scoop out a consistent weight
  • Scale for weighing powder (I prefer a balance scale over electric)
  • *Powder trickler is optional, as you can use a fired cartridge to do this
  • Powder funnel for transferring powder into a case after you've weighed it.
  • .308 Bullets

Back
Top Bottom