• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Turkey Hunting for 2021 season

mustang12

Default rank <750 posts
Let’s Go Brandon!
36   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m a lifelong hunter of deer, duck, wild pigs, and upland game. This year for the first time, I wanted to try Turkey hunting. Any tips, suggestions, or things I should know? Any particular areas in GA known for Turkeys? Looking for serious and honest answers.
Thanks!

Scouting is key, I’m guessing you don’t have private land to hunt on? There are a good many of wmas that have a lot of turkeys on them. Make sure you pattern gun before season starts. Invest in some comfortable snake boots because you will do a lot of walking. Get a call and work with it before season, I suggest a box call since it’s your first year.

Scouting is key, I’m guessing you don’t have private land to hunt on? There are a good many of wmas that have a lot of turkeys on them. Make sure you pattern gun before season starts. Invest in some comfortable snake boots because you will do a lot of walking. Get a call and work with it before season, I suggest a box call since it’s your first year.
I do have private land options through friends and family, but was also interested in which WMAs were good. In your experience, which camo patterns have been most successful for a north Georgia hunt? I will definitely work with calls...thanks for the suggestions!

I do have private land options through friends and family, but was also interested in which WMAs were good. In your experience, which camo patterns have been most successful for a north Georgia hunt? I will definitely work with calls...thanks for the suggestions!
Allatoona, pine log, paulding forest, Sheffield all are pretty decent wmas for turkeys. Just some camo with some green in it, realtree apg mossy oak obsession

I agree with the above advice also keep the calling simple starting off and Don’t over call. Simple yelps, cluck,purrs and scratching leaves call in turkeys. Camo patterns don’t matter as much as unnecessary movement . Watch some you tube videos,the hunting public and Pinhoti project are pretty great.

I’m in the same position. Hunted most of my life but looking to do my first turkey hunt this year. Have private land I can go and have seen plenty of turkeys on it through the deer season.

Practice. Practice. Practice with a call. Watch all the YouTube videos you can on calling and hunting techniques/strategy. After you find an area with birds, go there before dark to find the roost. Get there before daylight and call him off the roost as soon as you here him start to hammer. Boom! Sounds easy huh?

I will add to the good advice already given to spend some time trying to pattern some birds a week or so before season especially if you have private land. Early in the season they seam easier to pattern coming off the roost to me.

Back
Top Bottom