• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Turkey Hunting for 2021 season

Practice. Practice. Practice with a call. Watch all the YouTube videos you can on calling and hunting techniques/strategy. After you find an area with birds, go there before dark to find the roost. Get there before daylight and call him off the roost as soon as you here him start to hammer. Boom! Sounds easy huh?
:pound:It ain’t ever easy! But that’s what makes it addictive!

Don’t do it,you will let a little pea brain with feathers control your mind,and make yourself questionable about knowing anything about hunting.you have been warned.if you insist all the above information will help along the way,just keep hammering, and learn from your mistakes.i would rate overcalling, and impatience are the hardiest,remember time means nothing to a turkey.
My motto has always been,you hear turkeys in the mourning,and you kill turkeys in the evening.

Practice. Practice. Practice with a call. Watch all the YouTube videos you can on calling and hunting techniques/strategy. After you find an area with birds, go there before dark to find the roost. Get there before daylight and call him off the roost as soon as you here him start to hammer. Boom! Sounds easy huh?
So, what’s the best way to locate them on the roost? Owl call after dark?

Personally I prefer to just sit and listen when trying to roost a bird, I normally have a pretty good idea where they are roosting anyway so I will just stay out of the way and sit and wait they usually will gobble either right before or when they fly up on the limb. Sometimes alot and sometimes just a time or two. But yes an owl hoot will get them to talk.

In the morning I usually wait for the birds to gobble on there own as well, seems like I have more success with it this way but every bird is different and has his own attitude and even that changes. They are alot like women with mood changes lol.

If you have never heard birds gobble you can hear them from several hundred yards in most cases. This is wind and terrain specific but if the wind is relatively calm you shouldn't have to be right on top of them.

Personally I prefer to just sit and listen when trying to roost a bird, I normally have a pretty good idea where they are roosting anyway so I will just stay out of the way and sit and wait they usually will gobble either right before or when they fly up on the limb. Sometimes alot and sometimes just a time or two. But yes an owl hoot will get them to talk.

In the morning I usually wait for the birds to gobble on there own as well, seems like I have more success with it this way but every bird is different and has his own attitude and even that changes. They are alot like women with mood changes lol.

If you have never heard birds gobble you can hear them from several hundred yards in most cases. This is wind and terrain specific but if the wind is relatively calm you shouldn't have to be right on top of them.

All this is why I said in an earlier post to spend some time scouting and just sitting and watching and listening before season you will learn birds patterns and habits.

Let them wake up on their own...don’t use a hooter or crow call. Later in the morning use a box call or a crow call to locate them when they shut down. Also don’t go after the 1st bird that gobbles. Give it a few minutes, and see what your options are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more piece of advise. Learn the land. Learn where the creeks, ditches, hills, ridges etc. are. A turkey will hang up on a drainage ditch one day, but fly across a river the next. Use the landscape to your advantage.

Get as close as you can, without busting him. I’ve belly crawled 100yds thru a field with knee high grass to kill a turkey, done the same in a wet weather branch. Some people say it’s not safe, because you don’t know if someone else is over there hunting. Well my opinion on that matter is a “real turkey hunter” knows the difference in my head and a turkey head. If the good lord takes me while I’m belly crawling a turkey, then I’ve died a happy man.

Pop up blinds are for deer hunters, hunters, children, lazy people. A so called turkey hunter sitting in a pop up blind for 3 hrs waiting on a gobbling turkey to come to him is not a hunter he is a hoper.

God created the biological make up of the American Wild Turkey so that the hens go to the Tom when he gobbles. Tom’s will come looking, but a Tom coming to you from a few hundred yards away is unlikely. He will either strut waiting for you to show up, or another hen will drag him off before he gets there. Although there are exceptions to this rule. I’ve boogered turkeys going to them, when they were on a dead run toward me. You can bet your bottom $ you want ever catch me waiting on a bird further than 100-150yds away. I’m sure folks will disagree with me on a lot of this, but this is how I’ve hunted turkeys for the last twenty yrs. My hunting partners do the same, and we have all been pretty successful over the yrs. For the love of god, hunt a turkey with the respect he deserves. Be a good woodsman, and learn from your mistakes.

One more piece of advise. Learn the land. Learn where the creeks, ditches, hills, ridges etc. are. A turkey will hang up on a drainage ditch one day, but fly across a river the next. Use the landscape to your advantage.

Get as close as you can, without busting him. I’ve belly crawled 100yds thru a field with knee high grass to kill a turkey, done the same in a wet weather branch. Some people say it’s not safe, because you don’t know if someone else is over there hunting. Well my opinion on that matter is a “real turkey hunter” knows the difference in my head and a turkey head. If the good lord takes me while I’m belly crawling a turkey, then I’ve died a happy man.

Pop up blinds are for deer hunters, hunters, children, lazy people. A so called turkey hunter sitting in a pop up blind for 3 hrs waiting on a gobbling turkey to come to him is not a hunter he is a hoper.

God created the biological make up of the American Wild Turkey so that the hens go to the Tom when he gobbles. Tom’s will come looking, but a Tom coming to you from a few hundred yards away is unlikely. He will either strut waiting for you to show up, or another hen will drag him off before he gets there. Although there are exceptions to this rule. I’ve boogered turkeys going to them, when they were on a dead run toward me. You can bet your bottom $ you want ever catch me waiting on a bird further than 100-150yds away. I’m sure folks will disagree with me on a lot of this, but this is how I’ve hunted turkeys for the last twenty yrs. My hunting partners do the same, and we have all been pretty successful over the yrs. For the love of god, hunt a turkey with the respect he deserves. Be a good woodsman, and learn from your mistakes.

So, I’m guessing you do still call turkeys. But you listen and go to them instead of calling and expecting them to come to you?

Exactly, locate them get as close as u can then call. It much easier to call a bird from75-100 yds than 500. Plus u have a better chance of a hen not dragging them off.

Back
Top Bottom