• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Truck project

6CD745A5-03F3-45A4-B701-ABA394DCF03B.jpeg
A7D6AC26-1DB0-4072-9485-6465E6FA21BD.jpeg
5E4F4D53-F5DE-420A-B931-9B4EDF71057B.jpeg
71B1D7CD-7E43-457B-9B55-8A6F32159F3F.jpeg
4BE2F30E-271A-4E8A-91D3-4D35F7A27029.jpeg
6B9C7D63-B415-4E44-B62E-DF96C4AB8044.jpeg

So yeah, one harmonic balancer ( thought motor had a knock) and a crappy sleeve repair from the past where the seal rides..

Do a big block with good aluminum heads not all out racing heads but something from Eldlerbrock or good equal quality heads. A good thumper cam. Maybe one of those Crane Street Thumper jobs they use to have and then top it off with FI Tech or similar self learning fuel injection system. It will drive like a new car. No cold starts, no gas smell. You could drive it on vacation and never no it was a older truck. Except that big block reminding you it's time to eat again.

Do a big block with good aluminum heads not all out racing heads but something from Eldlerbrock or good equal quality heads. A good thumper cam. Maybe one of those Crane Street Thumper jobs they use to have and then top it off with FI Tech or similar self learning fuel injection system. It will drive like a new car. No cold starts, no gas smell. You could drive it on vacation and never no it was a older truck. Except that big block reminding you it's time to eat again.
Thats the whole point of having this..no computers or electronics. just a simple as designed truck..no technology. Big block with 454-572 inches and carbs and a HEI thats it ..done. We have gotten so used to fast fast fast electronics,creature comforts that damn near wipe our asses for us. The original use for a truck as it was not as it is now. Ive got the modern comforts that take an electrical engineering degree to sort out. This will still be around after that fails..I can still make gaskets and wind coils..tune carbs etc.

C-notch kit frame kit and rear flip kit incoming along with some Belltech Nitro 2 drop shocks front and rear to get that ass end down to earth.....ohh just installed some series 10 Flowmasters to piss the neigbors off.

Thats the whole point of having this..no computers or electronics. just a simple as designed truck..no technology. Big block with 454-572 inches and carbs and a HEI thats it ..done. We have gotten so used to fast fast fast electronics,creature comforts that damn near wipe our asses for us. The original use for a truck as it was not as it is now. Ive got the modern comforts that take an electrical engineering degree to sort out. This will still be around after that fails..I can still make gaskets and wind coils..tune carbs etc.
I get it. You will atleast put a bung in the exhaust for a temporary wide band O2 sensor yeah? Just so you can tune it to perfection. Tuning carbs isn't hard but these days you ask a new car mechanic to tune a carb and he will look at you funny. It won't be long us old school boys will be gone and carb tuning will be a lost art. I cut my teeth on a Holley on my 67 Belvedere and a Thermoquad on my 68 Dodge Charger. I also learned how to set up timing curve on a Accell Dual point distributor no electric ignition for this white boy. It was tuned to perfection. I won a lot of races just from proper tuning.
If I were to build a older car again I would start out old school but with the size cam I would run fuel injection would be a must. The real radical engines are just to temperamental for a carb but if the cam is mild you can get by with it. Temperature, Atmospheric pressure, intake temp, water temp just wreak havoc on a real radical cam. I would rather start and drive rather than retune every week end. To each his own. My best friend has a 70 Chevy short bed with a 468 and it's mild but he spends way to much time under the hood. It probably doesn't need it. I think at this point it's habit. If his AFR is off 1 point he is under the hood. You just can't keep up with that stuff with a carb set up. It will drive you nuts.

I get it. You will atleast put a bung in the exhaust for a temporary wide band O2 sensor yeah? Just so you can tune it to perfection. Tuning carbs isn't hard but these days you ask a new car mechanic to tune a carb and he will look at you funny. It won't be long us old school boys will be gone and carb tuning will be a lost art. I cut my teeth on a Holley on my 67 Belvedere and a Thermoquad on my 68 Dodge Charger. I also learned how to set up timing curve on a Accell Dual point distributor no electric ignition for this white boy. It was tuned to perfection. I won a lot of races just from proper tuning.
If I were to build a older car again I would start out old school but with the size cam I would run fuel injection would be a must. The real radical engines are just to temperamental for a carb but if the cam is mild you can get by with it. Temperature, Atmospheric pressure, intake temp, water temp just wreak havoc on a real radical cam. I would rather start and drive rather than retune every week end. To each his own. My best friend has a 70 Chevy short bed with a 468 and it's mild but he spends way to much time under the hood. It probably doesn't need it. I think at this point it's habit. If his AFR is off 1 point he is under the hood. You just can't keep up with that stuff with a carb set up. It will drive you nuts.
Nah, stoicheometrics can be had by reading the plugs and monitored timing curve & vacuum at idle and wide open… old school… not competing just open perfect fit glove for me..

Back
Top Bottom