• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New truck question...

Outside of nostalgia why would someone want a manual transmission in a truck?

I can see it in a small sporty car but in a truck I can’t thing of a single advantage of a manual transmission.

Ever had to rebuild or have a transmission rebuilt? I have, and a manual transmission is a lot cheaper to have rebuilt. I prefer a manual transmission (love the 6 speed in my Frontier), but they are getting harder and harder to find.

In the market for a new sled and considering the following:
2018 Silverado 4x4 Z71 LTZ
2019 Silverado 4x4 Trailboss LT (can't decide if I like new style or not)
And possibly considering an F150, just because I've owned either a Tahoe or Silverado the last 5 vehicles. Also, I get a supplier discount on GM products.

I'm not as familiar with Fords... so what's the best engine, package, etc that's comparable to the 5.3 and LT / LTZ line?

Thanks for the help and let the trolling commence...

That's funny. I pull a 20' Center Console back and fourth from the beach throughout the year. My current 15' Chevy does just fine.
Just curious then. Why the desire for a new one?

A real truck only has 2 doors....all that other stuff is just station wagons with big wheels.

df1d68da506a1c92ef76320440602ad8.jpg

Agreed
IMG_1690.JPG

I just looked at the Tundras online and might consider that route too. Beaver Toyota offers a lifetime power train warranty that sounds interesting... especially now that GM has backed there's way off.

Shop around. Beaver is stupid high. Got my 4Runner last year in Augusta, and Beaver is the closest dealer to me.

Ever had to rebuild or have a transmission rebuilt? I have, and a manual transmission is a lot cheaper to have rebuilt. I prefer a manual transmission (love the 6 speed in my Frontier), but they are getting harder and harder to find.
Yep. Had the transmission rebuilt in a Dart back in 2013.

6 month later I was going to buy a VW that needed transmission work but I couldn’t find anyone who worked on manual transmissions anymore.

Avoid the 8 speed GM transmission IMHO.
Avoid the Echo boost Fords. (if you go ford get the 5.0 and be sure the fire recall has been done)
Chevy has rear auto locker vs elocker on a lot of fords
Tundra is solid, just terrible gas MPG and no android auto/apple car play. No rear locker available.
New Ram's look good but don't' know much about them. (recent recall be sure it gets done)

Good luck on your new truck, and let us know what you pick.

Yep. Had the transmission rebuilt in a Dart back in 2013.

6 month later I was going to buy a VW that needed transmission work but I couldn’t find anyone who worked on manual transmissions anymore.

Granted it's been 15 years since I had to have one rebuilt, but I remembered it being quiet a bit more expensive to have an auto rebuilt versus the manual one I had rebuilt prior to that. With that being said, modern vehicles go 200k+ miles these days without needing anything other than gas, oil and brakes so I wouldn't put as much emphasis on rebuild costs when looking now, but I am a Japanese vehicle owner so "American" car owners may have different experiences.

Back
Top Bottom