• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New truck question...

Granted it's been 15 years since I had to have one rebuilt, but I remembered it being quiet a bit more expensive to have an auto rebuilt versus the manual one I had rebuilt prior to that. With that being said, modern vehicles go 200k+ miles these days without needing anything other than gas, oil and brakes so I wouldn't put as much emphasis on rebuild costs when looking now, but I am a Japanese vehicle owner so "American" car owners may have different experiences.

Typically 2 clutches (manual)= one automatic transmission... if not abused should last a long time...

Pro tip, go to enterprise and rent what you are thinking about buying for a week. You won't get the top of the line but what you will get is hands on real world driving with just the truck, no bells or whistles, just the truck. You'll know pretty fast which one you like. They all make good trucks, you just have to find the one that you like.
Isn’t that just spending money on something that you can dowhen you can take a test drive home for a couple days for free?

If you have a Chevy with a Duramax it only comes with an Allison tranny no stick shift

I dont think you can get a manual trans in any pickup now

I drive a 17 Chevy 2500 and I freaking hate the automatic transmission
As soon as you move , I mean the instant the tires roll ,it changes from first gear to second and proceeds to shift to fifth and sixth before you’re doing 40

Even doing 35 up a small hill in a residential street it refuses to drop out of sixth unless you floor it
Then it slams to third

I just keep the “tow” button permanently activated to raise the shift points to something near normal

It can be manually shifted but when you set it to manual while driving it drops from sixth to fourth

Or if it’s not in sixth it drops at least one gear
If it’s in fourth and I want to shift it manually and move the selector to manual , it slams to third and then I have to hit the button to go back to fourth

On the bright side my brother bought a new 16 4wd 1/2 ton high country to replace his 08 and the new one he claims gets 20 mpg

My 17 3/4 ton 4wd gets 12

If the one i drive was mine I’d get a tundra no question
I’ve driven every kind of pickup and the tundra is hands down the one I like the best

Mostly because Toyota doesn’t have to worship at the altar of mpg
They sell plenty of priuses to make up for the tundra being a real truck with a real V-8 engine that makes real power

And I don’t mind driving a manual
The automatics are always in the wrong gear
They are made to shift up too soon and save one tenth of a cents gas in a days drive
I don’t care one bit about mpg
I get my personal vehicles used , normally at auctions or from people trading their vehicle in
I get em so cheap there’s little to no depreciation so I’m not concerned about the mpg

The way I’ve gotten the last two for almost nothing is I tell friends and family that if they go new car shopping and the sales weasel asks about trading in just tell em you’re gonna give it to your daughter or whatever

Then when you’ve spent nine hours getting the price down to something fair and are ready to do the deal
Ask about trading in your vehicle

The sales weasel will offer about $3500 for a $12,000 car
I then meet my friend at the stealership and hand em the $3500 in cash and buy their car

This only works if you tell them you’re NOT trading

If they think you’re gonna trade they will inflate your trade value and just no knock it off the price of the new car
Because this appeals to most people
It makes them think they are getting a lot trading in their current vehicle

I’ve gotten two this way in the last couple months

A one owner 03 4wd Jeep Liberty for $500 and a one owner 06 4wd expedition limited that cost $53k In 06 , for $3,500
Sales weasel was really pissd when I walked in and handed the cash to the owner sitting in the sales weasel cubicle , stealership thought they were gonna put it on the lot for $12,500

I dont think you can get a manual trans in any pickup now

I drive a 17 Chevy 2500 and I freaking hate the automatic transmission
As soon as you move , I mean the instant the tires roll ,it changes from first gear to second and proceeds to shift to fifth and sixth before you’re doing 40

Even doing 35 up a small hill in a residential street it refuses to drop out of sixth unless you floor it
Then it slams to third

I just keep the “tow” button permanently activated to raise the shift points to something near normal

It can be manually shifted but when you set it to manual while driving it drops from sixth to fourth

Or if it’s not in sixth it drops at least one gear
If it’s in fourth and I want to shift it manually and move the selector to manual , it slams to third and then I have to hit the button to go back to fourth

On the bright side my brother bought a new 16 4wd 1/2 ton high country to replace his 08 and the new one he claims gets 20 mpg

My 17 3/4 ton 4wd gets 12

If the one i drive was mine I’d get a tundra no question
I’ve driven every kind of pickup and the tundra is hands down the one I like the best

Mostly because Toyota doesn’t have to worship at the altar of mpg
They sell plenty of priuses to make up for the tundra being a real truck with a real V-8 engine that makes real power

And I don’t mind driving a manual
The automatics are always in the wrong gear
They are made to shift up too soon and save one tenth of a cents gas in a days drive
I don’t care one bit about mpg
I get my personal vehicles used , normally at auctions or from people trading their vehicle in
I get em so cheap there’s little to no depreciation so I’m not concerned about the mpg

The way I’ve gotten the last two for almost nothing is I tell friends and family that if they go new car shopping and the sales weasel asks about trading in just tell em you’re gonna give it to your daughter or whatever

Then when you’ve spent nine hours getting the price down to something fair and are ready to do the deal
Ask about trading in your vehicle

The sales weasel will offer about $3500 for a $12,000 car
I then meet my friend at the stealership and hand em the $3500 in cash and buy their car

This only works if you tell them you’re NOT trading

If they think you’re gonna trade they will inflate your trade value and just no knock it off the price of the new car
Because this appeals to most people
It makes them think they are getting a lot trading in their current vehicle

I’ve gotten two this way in the last couple months

A one owner 03 4wd Jeep Liberty for $500 and a one owner 06 4wd expedition limited that cost $53k In 06 , for $3,500
Sales weasel was really pissd when I walked in and handed the cash to the owner sitting in the sales weasel cubicle , stealership thought they were gonna put it on the lot for $12,500

In 2019 you can still get a manual transmission in the Ram, however this is the last year it will be available.

I am about to sell a 99 Ford F-350 with the 7.3 diesel and a lil over 200k miles on it. She is a manual and if I remember right, has power windows.

Back
Top Bottom