• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie ammo dilemma

blackhawksfan

Default rank <2500 posts
Non-Shooter
64   0
Reaction score
Well i finally broke down and purchased my 1st AR15 this is a far cry from my LeverActions and just a wee bit intimidating hence I've read the manual twice already. My question would be about ammo selection. What is a good range ammo and God forbid what is a good defense ammo. The firearm is a Colt 1/7 twist barrel marked 5.56. Any and all comments are welcome to help this clueless guy out .... LOL

Well i finally broke down and purchased my 1st AR15 this is a far cry from my LeverActions and just a wee bit intimidating hence I've read the manual twice already. My question would be about ammo selection. What is a good range ammo and God forbid what is a good defense ammo. The firearm is a Colt 1/7 twist barrel marked 5.56. Any and all comments are welcome to help this clueless guy out .... LOL

For range, do you mean plinkin' and drills, or you mean like for accuracy testing?

For the SD part, what else is in your system? IMHO I would not use one for home defense due to overpenetration. If you are thinking SHTF and you don't have anything more powerful (.308, slugs) you might want to consider green tip.

If you are on a budget (like me) www.sportsmansguide.com has some good deals on Wolf, Tulammo and brown bear. It's all steel cased (bring on the haters) and my ar's eat it up like candy. It's cheap, readily accessible and takes down deer (and presumably humans) just as good as the $1 per round stuff.

The Perfecta stuff from Wal-Mart is pretty good and relatively cheap. I'll shoot anything in mine and agree with the home defense comment. Probably not your best bet to be flogging off with other people in the house. I had an Army armorer once tell me the steel case is fine if you alternate it. When I do shoot it, I just load the mags one brass, one steel alternating. Seems to work for me. Thousands of rounds of all flavors through a S&W M&P with zero malfunctions. I've heard folks say to run them wet. I like to make sure mine is well oiled but not dripping. It will get dirtier with steel case but I kind of like cleaning guns so I it doesn't really matter to me. Just shoot it a lot. You won't break it.

Green tips are like full metal jacket. They are not good choices for self-defense, unless you are trying to shoot through body armor or get to people hiding behind car doors are other light barriers.

You want an expanding bullet, either hollow point, polymer tip like a ballistic tip, soft point, or another type of hunting round .

The difference in the wound cavitation in ballistic gelatin or clay or soaked wet newspaper is phenomenal .

And even varmint bullets penetrate deep enough to ruin somebody's day.

Back
Top Bottom