• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie ammo dilemma

If all you want it ammo that will ONLY be used for training at combat distances and using a center mass hold, lots of folks overthink it. Buy what you can afford and runs well in your gun; brass- or steel-cased.

In the back of my mind, I keep the thought that my "training" ammo may very well become my SHTF ammo on short notice. That's why I use M193-spec, brass-cased ammo from a company that loads for military contracts. Good quality stuff that won't rust or corrode with minimum care over long periods of storage/toting around, reliable and accurate. I'd prefer not to be caught with my pants down, runnin' n gunnin' with steel-cased crap loaded by some borscht-eatin' peasant who was drunk on peppered vodka while running the loading machinery.

If you are on a budget (like me) www.sportsmansguide.com has some good deals on Wolf, Tulammo and brown bear. It's all steel cased (bring on the haters) and my ar's eat it up like candy. It's cheap, readily accessible and takes down deer (and presumably humans) just as good as the $1 per round stuff.
X2. My AR would not know how to act with the good ammo. Just remember a wet AR is a happy AR.

If all you want it ammo that will ONLY be used for training at combat distances and using a center mass hold, lots of folks overthink it. Buy what you can afford and runs well in your gun; brass- or steel-cased.

In the back of my mind, I keep the thought that my "training" ammo may very well become my SHTF ammo on short notice. That's why I use M193-spec, brass-cased ammo from a company that loads for military contracts. Good quality stuff that won't rust or corrode with minimum care over long periods of storage/toting around, reliable and accurate. I'd prefer not to be caught with my pants down, runnin' n gunnin' with steel-cased crap loaded by some borscht-eatin' peasant who was drunk on peppered vodka while running the loading machinery.
This is the most intelligent statement I have ever heard on this site bar none. A mans cache of ammo should be of superior quality and made to last and go bang for a long time after purchase. It's to bad that there are those out there that won't heed this high IQ information and go on buying beet soup ammo.

A little off topic but still on the subject of ammo. I saw some on the net and had to have a couple of boxes. It's made by Liberty Ammo and it's called animal instinct. Regular 168 grain ammo speed is right around 2690 ft. per second. Liberty has an .308 all copper 110 grain cartridge that hauls ass at 3500 ft. per second. Now knowing the damage a 5.56 projectile does at 3250 ft. per second just imagine getting hit with one of those 30 cal projectiles at 3500 ft. per second would do at 100 to 200 yards. I don't really want to even think of what would happen to the human torso with that round. It wouldn't be pretty damn messy to say the least. Ugly, just plain ugly.

Back
Top Bottom