• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie needing some advice!

jwill130

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
164   0
Reaction score
I’ve wanted a suppressor for years and I think I’m ready to go for it. I recall the laws being changed, 41f I believe, but I didn’t understand what that means basically. Basically what’s the best way to go about getting the process started? I remember a while back a trust was the way to go. What about now? Is one way better than the other? Any help is definitely appreciated!

I’ve wanted a suppressor for years and I think I’m ready to go for it. I recall the laws being changed, 41f I believe, but I didn’t understand what that means basically. Basically what’s the best way to go about getting the process started? I remember a while back a trust was the way to go. What about now? Is one way better than the other? Any help is definitely appreciated!

Basically want 41F did was force every responsible person on the trust to get fingerprinted and submit photos for purchasing new items. It also made a requirement to notify your CLEO or chief law enforcement officer of your purchase. Prior to 41F an individual would have to go to the CLEO and get them to sign off on purchases. Trust was the workaround to that as some CLEOs wouldnt sign off. So if a person lived in an area like that trust allowed them to be able to make NFA purchases.

Now with 41F the playing field has been leveled greatly as trust are no longer required to make purchases however they do help when it comes to passing those NFA items. I'm not to keen when it comes to the legalese of that. Since the requirements are the same, if not more burdensome with trust a lot of trust holders have be making post-41F purchases individually so all of the trustees dont have to go through the entire process of submitting prints and pics.

So you have to look at your individual situation and see does having a trust benefit you. There still are some benefits to you but not as great. I have so many stamps on my trust I continue to use it although I think at one point individual forms were coming back faster. I submitted an amendment to my trust so I'm the sole trustee.

Basically want 41F did was force every responsible person on the trust to get fingerprinted and submit photos for purchasing new items. It also made a requirement to notify your CLEO or chief law enforcement officer of your purchase. Prior to 41F an individual would have to go to the CLEO and get them to sign off on purchases. Trust was the workaround to that as some CLEOs wouldnt sign off. So if a person lived in an area like that trust allowed them to be able to make NFA purchases.

Now with 41F the playing field has been leveled greatly as trust are no longer required to make purchases however they do help when it comes to passing those NFA items. I'm not to keen when it comes to the legalese of that. Since the requirements are the same, if not more burdensome with trust a lot of trust holders have be making post-41F purchases individually so all of the trustees dont have to go through the entire process of submitting prints and pics.

So you have to look at your individual situation and see does having a trust benefit you. There still are some benefits to you but not as great. I have so many stamps on my trust I continue to use it although I think at one point individual forms were coming back faster. I submitted an amendment to my trust so I'm the sole trustee.
Honestly I don’t know who I would have on it besides myself, my wife and my two boys at some point. It would be years before they were able (2 years old and 2 months). Sounds like individual purchase may be easier. I only plan on one or two suppressors but I know how that could easily multiply lol.

Honestly I don’t know who I would have on it besides myself, my wife and my two boys at some point. It would be years before they were able (2 years old and 2 months). Sounds like individual purchase may be easier. I only plan on one or two suppressors but I know how that could easily multiply lol.

Yea for most people trust doesnt add enough benefit. Plus you will likely have to pay someone to draft it up, although you could do it yourself.

My trust was created with my wife as a trustee and my daughter as the beneficiary of the trust. If your wife isn't an active shooter it might be better to leave her off so she doesnt have to jump through all the hoops every time you want to buy some or make an SBR. You can add your boys on though as beneficiaries even as minors. Benefactors shouldnt have to get prints and pics but of course that depends on how the trust is drafted up.

I was in a similar position to you back in 2013. I've always wanted a suppressor but was intimidated by the whole process. See guys like @sovietak474u, @NWSharpshooter and others mention how many multiple stamps they have I thought to myself I would never be able to spend that much money. I mean thousands of dollars on just stamps! Well the SilencerCo Sparrow 22 suppressor was the gateway drug for me. Now I have 9 stamps, 1 more about to go pending and 1 more in the foreseeable future.

Yea for most people trust doesnt add enough benefit. Plus you will likely have to pay someone to draft it up, although you could do it yourself.

My trust was created with my wife as a trustee and my daughter as the beneficiary of the trust. If your wife isn't an active shooter it might be better to leave her off so she doesnt have to jump through all the hoops every time you want to buy some or make an SBR. You can add your boys on though as beneficiaries even as minors. Benefactors shouldnt have to get prints and pics but of course that depends on how the trust is drafted up.

I was in a similar position to you back in 2013. I've always wanted a suppressor but was intimidated by the whole process. See guys like @sovietak474u, @NWSharpshooter and others mention how many multiple stamps they have I thought to myself I would never be able to spend that much money. I mean thousands of dollars on just stamps! Well the SilencerCo Sparrow 22 suppressor was the gateway drug for me. Now I have 9 stamps, 1 more about to go pending and 1 more in the foreseeable future.
My wife could care less about shooting lol. I May create a trust and be the only one on it. Can someone be added later?

If you go the trust route, use Dean's (cant remember his username) trust. You can bypass the responsible persons nonsense. I have my goddaughter on my beneficiary list and she's only 6. So if she does decide to want to learn about and use guns including my NFA items she has access once I add her to the list of trustee's. You can have people on both trustee and beneficiary list on your trust. But if you go individual and want to go to a trust later you will have to pay the transfer on EACH item. So if it was me, I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Just my 2¢.

If you go the trust route, use Dean's (cant remember his username) trust. You can bypass the responsible persons nonsense. I have my goddaughter on my beneficiary list and she's only 6. So if she does decide to want to learn about and use guns including my NFA items she has access once I add her to the list of trustee's. You can have people on both trustee and beneficiary list on your trust. But if you go individual and want to go to a trust later you will have to pay the transfer on EACH item. So if it was me, I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Just my 2¢.

What responsible person nonsense can you bypass with a trust?

My wife could care less about shooting lol. I May create a trust and be the only one on it. Can someone be added later?

You can add people at a later time BUT, if you wife isn’t listed she isn’t allowed access to it ie she can’t know the safe combo or have it on her person or anything without you there..that was the original plus for trusts (you could in my case back in the day leave it at your parents house)

Back
Top Bottom