Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Army

Army Icon
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
Sorry for asking such a newbie question and am not even sure I am posting it in the correct location. I am getting back into shooting after 10 years and have read the threads that say .9mm, .38 spl, .357mag, 22 mag (don't think it can be?) rounds are cheaper to buy than reload. I have 2 questions: 1) can anyone recommend the best (cheapest, reliable) place to order those calibers? I used to buy from Georgia Arms in Winston, Ga. 2) is it considered bad etiquette to pick up discarded brass at indoor shooting ranges? Is that something that is reserved for the owners of the range or is it ok to police and take with you? Or is that a question I ask the range owners?
Thanks for taking the time to read and at least not lauging out loud in your posts.
Dave

Ok, I'll try my hand on answering for you, on reloadable rounds i have rarely seen it cost less to buy than reload, the exception being some military surplus rounds.

You can try this link for the cheapest place to buy.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

It searches the web for the best deals. As for picking up brass at indoor ranges I suggest you ask first. In the past I have usually told them upfront that I reload and will be picking up my brass. The usual reply has been that I am welcome to pick up what I have brought or what I buy at the range, please don't pick up anymore as they sell it back to other companies. I have never failed to turn down any offered by other shooters who see my saving mine though! Hope this helps.

Differant train of thoughts on purchasing vs reloading.

With the price of 9mm ammo what it is, it would be far better to purchase than to reload. That is unless you are a serious high volume shooter and then only by buying all your items in bulk.

38SPL/357 almost falls into the same boat. Lot of good ammunition for fairly decent prices can be had. With the 357 and to a lesser extent the 38SPL when you start reloading for it you can save money. It all depends on what you want to shoot, cast or jacketed bullets, Target or Hunting loads.

So far as picking up brass in an indoor range, I would ask the owner/rangemaster. Some places will let you while others will not. All depends upon their policy. Thats one of the reason's I like wheelguns.

GA Arms still sells ammo and from my understanding you can pick it up on site. You can also search the net and at times find good deals with free shipping.

Tom

the ranges that I shoot at you can pick up your own brass for sure. they might not like it if you go in and clean out the whole range but I don't know, maybe they wouldn't mind... :)

as for the cost vs reloading, it depends upon what you want. if you just want basic plinking/range ammo, in the 9mm and 38 special you would be right it's about the same or cheaper to just buy what you can find deals on. (ie. 500 round of 115gr 9mm at Ed's was about $100 a few weeks ago). hard to reload for that price. But if you want to shoot 147gr HP bullets, it's a lot less $$ to reload your own, and you can get the load tailored for what shoots best in your pistol/rifle. you can't reload rimfire shells (well, I'm sure you can but not without a lot of hurdles). 357 is harder to find these days and not as cheap either. Once you get into the odd cartridges then you really start to save money once you have the brass...

but it takes time to reload, and a good source for materials (primers, brass at least initially, powder, bullets, etc). Initial outlay of cash to get the press and dies, etc. etc.

but if you have the time, it's a great experience to load your own. I reload about 15 calibers when I have the time to play with it, and it's nice to have a custom round for each rifle/pistol.

as far as good shops, GA Arms is still around they have good prices on ammo, or just look around at the shops for deals. I know Ed's pawn usually has some good prices on the south side of town..

Dave,

You can reload 9mm cast for less than half the cost of the cheapest store bought ammo. You can reload 9mm FMJ's for slightly more than half the cost. You would need to buy bullets in 1000 round packs and best to buy primers in 5,000/ea. bricks. Ammo cost are going up and the cheapest route will be to melt your own lead and cast your own bullets. I'm considering this as the prices continue to rise. If you need details or POC's just ask.

Also .38 spl can be loaded cheaply with cast bullets. .357 Magnum is a rape in progress at the cashier counter and you save big time reloading it. .22 Mag can be reloaded but it is cost prohibitive to attempt it.

Always ask to pick up your own brass at an indoor range as they sell the brass and lead that is produced at the range. It's rare that I buy ammo. More interesting to locate good deals on bulk bullets, primer and powder. Brass scrounging is a habit that my Dad taught me as a child and I continue the habit even today.

Chris

Last edited:
Dave,
You can reload 9mm cast for less than half the cost of the cheapest store bought ammo. You can reload 9mm FMJ's for slightly more than half the cost. You would need to buy bullets in 1000 round packs and best to buy primers in 5,000/ea. bricks.
Chris

^^^THIS^^^

The best picing I can find on reloaded 9mm is $190/1000 out the door if I drive to get it. You can reload FMJ's for @ $160 and lead for @ $130 if you buy components by the 1000. Buy them by the 5000 and you can save another 10% -15%. Once you have the brass it goes down even more. I don't reload but my friend does and this is what his initial cost are.

Get something that shoots .22lr if you plan to shoot a lot at first, it's about $0.035 per round for Remington 550 packs at walmart and it works pretty well. Ran thru 550 rds saturday and only had 3 FTF's. Not perfect but really really cheap...

OK I have to ask. How? other than pulling the bullet and replacing it, last I looked these were still rimfire!

You dont have a .22lr "rim" die for your reloader? I bought one from a nice Nigerian man via email yesterday, I should have it in 6 weeks. Let me know if you want one and I'll give him your email...

You dont have a .22lr "rim" die for your reloader? I bought one from a nice Nigerian man via email yesterday, I should have it in 6 weeks. Let me know if you want one and I'll give him your email...

Is this the same Nigerian man who told me I only have to send him $500 to pay for the transaction fee so I can collect my 2.5 million that someone I don't know left me?

Originally Posted by Cruisers460
"OK I have to ask. How? other than pulling the bullet and replacing it, last I looked these were still rimfire!"

Rimfire can be reloaded. You can google it but here is a link: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254908 Interesting that folks in communist block countries if allowed to have firearms the caliber was often restricted (.22LR) and ammo cost was prohibitive enough to make reloading it actually cost effective. Be thankful you live in the good old U.S.A. and Wally World has 500 rds/less $20 out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom