• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same Nigerian man who told me I only have to send him $500 to pay for the transaction fee so I can collect my 2.5 million that someone I don't know left me?

Originally Posted by Cruisers460
"OK I have to ask. How? other than pulling the bullet and replacing it, last I looked these were still rimfire!"

Rimfire can be reloaded. You can google it but here is a link: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254908 Interesting that folks in communist block countries if allowed to have firearms the caliber was often restricted (.22LR) and ammo cost was prohibitive enough to make reloading it actually cost effective. Be thankful you live in the good old U.S.A. and Wally World has 500 rds/less $20 out the door.

I read the linked thread. I suspect it's b.s., because the guy claiming he does it never mentions anything about resizing the case, or even the neck.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question and am not even sure I am posting it in the correct location. I am getting back into shooting after 10 years and have read the threads that say .9mm, .38 spl, .357mag, 22 mag (don't think it can be?) rounds are cheaper to buy than reload. I have 2 questions: 1) can anyone recommend the best (cheapest, reliable) place to order those calibers? I used to buy from Georgia Arms in Winston, Ga. 2) is it considered bad etiquette to pick up discarded brass at indoor shooting ranges? Is that something that is reserved for the owners of the range or is it ok to police and take with you? Or is that a question I ask the range owners?
Thanks for taking the time to read and at least not lauging out loud in your posts.
Dave

Reloading will be cheaper in the end. If you have the time, it's the way to go. The only thing that is unknown is how long it will take to pay off the equipment (each round fired gets you closer). It took me about 6 months to pay off my Dillon in ammo savings.

As for brass, grab as much of it as you can when you can. It is one of the more expensive parts of reloading, but the cost can be cut if you don't mind playing brass chicken. The nice thing about most pistol cartridges is that as long as you aren't rough on your brass during loading or creating super magnums it'll last you forever.

I'm not really wanting this thread turning into can you reload rimfire, but my Dad said it was possible but not worth it back in the 1970's when I asked the same question. This is stolen from another web site:

"I have a 22lr reloading kit some where in my loading shop that was my grandfathers.... He taught me how to re-load 22lr's when I was a kid... it has a punch that goes down inside the shell to punch the rim back out and it kinda bell mouths the case opening ever so slightly....

then there is a litlte sizing die you smack it up into to size the outside.... and then the back of the punch is run in the other side of the die to knick the case back out....

it has a small brush to clean the inside of the case out... and it came with a mixture for re-priming (mixture was long sense gone when I got it).... but you apply mixture wet and let it dry over night and then load your powder with the small adjustable measure that came with it... and place projectile in the case and press it down with the sizing die and push the loaded round back out through the top.... it takes forever to load one round... but in a pinch it does work.... and works well

It has a slide card for how much black powder to use and the recipe for the primming mixture.....

I probably loaded about 100 of these when I was younger.... but I found that swaging my 22lr cases was much more fun and less time consuming..... besides a brick of 22lr back then was about 5.00....

I will have to dig that old die set out and get some pics and measurements...."

Two words in a question that I'm always wary of are always and never. It's typically a loaded question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom