• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newly Proposed Hunting Regs

Nothing effects me either, would like to see a kill wild hogs 24/7 by any means on public land instead of using whatever seasons weapon it is.

I was hoping extended archery would get Coweta county
Extended or even an earlier bow season for more counties or even WMA would have been awesome. I’d rather bear the heat and hunt the deer earlier as opposed to hunting them late season when they are over pressured and in hiding.
It seems that private land is becoming harder to find or just downright expensive nowadays. Increasing public land opportunities would be great. It’s our dollars that go towards public land acquisition, but yet we have very little say in the matter regarding when we can hunt it.

Extended or even an earlier bow season for more counties or even WMA would have been awesome. I’d rather bear the heat and hunt the deer earlier as opposed to hunting them late season when they are over pressured and in hiding.
It seems that private land is becoming harder to find or just downright expensive nowadays. Increasing public land opportunities would be great. It’s our dollars that go towards public land acquisition, but yet we have very little say in the matter regarding when we can hunt it.
I wonder if there is a biological reason for a late season, rather than an early season.

I'd also be interested to find out what effect fewer does would have on the rut. On the one hand, there would be fewer does in heat, so less of the sent of love in the air. On the other, there would be more competition among bucks for the remaining does.

Nothing effects me either, would like to see a kill wild hogs 24/7 by any means on public land instead of using whatever seasons weapon it is.
They’ve taken a step in the right direction regarding that by adding the May season on WMA land, but 2 weeks isn’t enough time to make an impact on the hog population. It would be nice if we had more opportunities to help combat cabin fever.

I wonder if there is a biological reason for a late season, rather than an early season.

I'd also be interested to find out what effect fewer does would have on the rut. On the one hand, there would be fewer does in heat, so less of the sent of love in the air. On the other, there would be more competition among bucks for the remaining does.
We hunted in Macon County prior to QDM being implemented and the buck to doe ratio was really good in our area. We had some really intense rutting activity then due to a lack of does. Bucks had to cover a lot of ground in search of them.
After QDM was implemented, we had more trophy hunters in our club and around our lease who were not killing enough does because they didn’t want to ruin their chances of killing a buck or they felt that more does meant bucks would hang around longer. It took a few years to see a real increase in the number of does, but it was also the beginning of the end of the intense rutting activity. It turned into a trickle rut after that. We saw some chasing, but very little seeking as opposed to years prior.

My current lease has a pretty good buck to doe ratio. Not exactly a 1 to 1, but fairly close. We kill most of our does prior to the rut and it’s usually 4-6 does per buck killed each year. We have a really good pre rut and peak rut every year and manage to kill a few good bucks. We also see some nice up and comers every year too.
I’d rather kill more does early and also have a chance at a buck while he’s still focused more on food and less focused on hiding.

Back
Top Bottom