• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

News today: Supreme Court refusing to hear weapons bans

I don't think this is all bad. Maybe Roberts said no to hearing it because without Scalia there was a higher chance that the 2A would lose at the SCOTUS and we can have another run at it when there are 9 justices.

By not granting cert they are letting each individual circuit court's decision stand. Thus, even if a state decide to ban "assault weapons" the circuit court in the area can strike down the law as unconstitutional since there is no Supreme Court ruling on it.

This is certainly a better outcome than having the 2nd circuit's ruling upheld by the SCOTUS because then it applies nationwide.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer)

I don't think this is all bad. Maybe Roberts said no to hearing it because without Scalia there was a higher chance that the 2A would lose at the SCOTUS and we can have another run at it when there are 9 justices.

By not granting cert they are letting each individual circuit court's decision stand. Thus, even if a state decide to ban "assault weapons" the circuit court in the area can strike down the law as unconstitutional since there is no Supreme Court ruling on it.

This is certainly a better outcome than having the 2nd circuit's ruling upheld by the SCOTUS because then it applies nationwide.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer)
i see it as the exact opposite

if that had gone to the supreme court the pro gun camp would win on constitutional grounds, or should rather.

the federal government has repeatedly stepped on the state's and local governments dicks in the past for not conforming to supposed rights that are constitutionally granted......so why is the exact opposite true with firearms?

i see it as the exact opposite

if that had gone to the supreme court the pro gun camp would win on constitutional grounds, or should rather.

the federal government has repeatedly stepped on the state's and local governments dicks in the past for not conforming to supposed rights that are constitutionally granted......so why is the exact opposite true with firearms?

I'm all for the fools in Connecticut having their own rules. If that's the way they want to live, good for them. Funny, how "states rights" pops up in different discussions. IT's a "southern thing" don't you know?

Back
Top Bottom