• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NFA items and Gun trust in respect to moving question.

chrislibby88

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
So. I've been wanting to get into the NFA game forever. I was married and kept having kids, so it kept getting pushed back, plus I was moving around alot, which leads to my questions.

1: How big of a pain in the ass is it to update your address when you move either with a gun trust, or notifying the ATF?

2:What all is required of you when you change address? I currently rent, but now that I'm getting divorced I am finally looking to buy a house. This wont happen anytime soon, but sometime within the next 3-5 years.

3: Would it be possible to start a trust with my brother (we already discussed this) and have his house (he owns) as the main residence and mine as a secondary residence? (This sounds kinda impractical, and is not really preferred)

4: Should I go ahead and do it, knowing that I am going to move AT LEAST once in the next 5 years, or should I keep holding off until I buy something permanent?

Talk to @heavyd NFA trust lawyers and your good to go. Don't wait do it now. Add your brother to trust and give him a copy of the trust and stamps when they arrive. When you move you can if you want to submit a form for change address but to my understanding they aren't pressing the issue if you're in state moving but ask the lawyer to be sure. Start you paperwork now you're wanting in the stamp collecting business anyways might as well be working on one now.

Talk to @heavyd NFA trust lawyers and your good to go. Don't wait do it now. Add your brother to trust and give him a copy of the trust and stamps when they arrive. When you move you can if you want to submit a form for change address but to my understanding they aren't pressing the issue if you're in state moving but ask the lawyer to be sure. Start you paperwork now you're wanting in the stamp collecting business anyways might as well be working on one now.
True that. Well I'm gonna go talk to a divorce lawyer monday, so maybe I can find a local guy to set up a trust while I'm out and about.

It looks like if you move in state a 5320.20 form and duplicate would need to be filled out and submitted to ATF for approval before you move with destructive devices, machine guns SBRs and SBSs and recommended on suppressors as well. Should take about 2-4 weeks so plan ahead. If it's outta state same if it's legal to own in the state you're going too.

Back
Top Bottom