• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nice surprise in the mail today

They call the Navy submariners, "The Silent Service", but I think that term belongs to and has certainly expanded to include thousands and thousands of folks that while doing their job, performed heroic acts and just continued without seeking fame or notoriety. They look at it as 'simply doing my job' and move on in silence. Then, every once in a while, someone, usually a peer, who witnesses those actions speaks up in your behalf. I have been fortunate to witness many acts of bravery amongst coworkers and if nothing else comes of those actions, know that your peers notice and respect you.

To Targetmaster and all folks that have worn the uniform of our Country, know that your actions, whether publicly acknowledged or not, are appreciated.

During the War, I put three Medics on dust-offs, Luckly all survived, My last Medic, I call Tripwire (because, yep, he hit one, almost died) came to see me several years ago after almost 50 years, while we were talking and drinking , he brought up me taking a head shot in 1968. I was wounded several times in 67 & 68 but being like Biker13, I'm hard to kill and mostly live forever or the next Meet & Greet. I have more than enough Purple Hearts with Cluster together with a couple of Dollars to buy a cup of Coffee, but never received one for the head shot, Tripwire is dealing with a lot of medical issues from almost dying over there but he told me, he'd make it right one day. Today I got a letter and a call, I redacted his address, but I'm going have several more copies made at the VA and submit a claim and send one to my Congressman to help put it through. Be nice to leave another Medal to my Family when I leave to go to that big PX in the sky. The letter proves you can take a head shot and live and from reading a lot of post on here, I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who has been shot in the head lol:doh:View attachment 5751888
Awesome!!! You tough old bastards. Welcome home and I hope they get your purple heart squared away. You deserve it.

I’m always all ears when I’m lucky enough to hear a vet telling a couple stories like this. They usually won’t talk about the ones that didnt end so well (understandably). I’m proud to know them and acknowledge their service for all of us. Amazing that they did what had to be done and returned to all their loved ones to live what we consider a “normal” life. Civilians have no idea what that’s like. Much gratitude and many thanks to all who served. I just wish our government took better care of y’all. Hopefully you’ll get the recognition you deserve. I know they’re a lot of vets on this site so l want to tell all of you thank you ! We should all try to do more for our vets, we are losing them to suicide at an alarming rate!

During the War, I put three Medics on dust-offs, Luckly all survived, My last Medic, I call Tripwire (because, yep, he hit one, almost died) came to see me several years ago after almost 50 years, while we were talking and drinking , he brought up me taking a head shot in 1968. I was wounded several times in 67 & 68 but being like Biker13, I'm hard to kill and mostly live forever or the next Meet & Greet. I have more than enough Purple Hearts with Cluster together with a couple of Dollars to buy a cup of Coffee, but never received one for the head shot, Tripwire is dealing with a lot of medical issues from almost dying over there but he told me, he'd make it right one day. Today I got a letter and a call, I redacted his address, but I'm going have several more copies made at the VA and submit a claim and send one to my Congressman to help put it through. Be nice to leave another Medal to my Family when I leave to go to that big PX in the sky. The letter proves you can take a head shot and live and from reading a lot of post on here, I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who has been shot in the head lol:doh:View attachment 5751888
Welcome Home brother.

Awesome.

When I was young I spent a lot of time in the “retirees” bars.
I learned a lot about life there, this was shortly after Nam and Korea.
Had a best friend that was a medic in the Air Force. He would not speak about anything concerning the war.

Back
Top Bottom