• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nice truck for the money

I had a 91 king cab with 4.3 and automatic and then a 93 regular cab with the anemic 2.8 V6 and 5 speed. My problem with the square body S10s is the body and interior are always ragged as hell. Like how they get the door sag and the windows get crooked in the tracks.
As far as mechanical reliability I have to admit that the 4.3 GM V6 is probably the most reliable unless you include the Dakotas with the 318. But comparing one 25+ years old truck to another I'd say the square body Rangers when you can find one will look better than most any S10 in the same age and price range.
I've got a 98 S-10 with the 4.3 in it.

It's got 285K on it and it's still running. It's not running real well, but it's still running. LOL

i dig i, i prefer this body and if i had the cash i'd go look at it. im guessing by dealer he's a guy who buys used cars at auctions and then flips them personally but has a "dealer" status so he can quickly flip them without title issue.

I never trusted the odometer on those kinds
Gotta look at things like the steering and suspension. Loose steering is an indicator of higher miles. I also look at the pedals. The amount of wear is another good indicator. Also, if the rubber covers for the pedals are brand new it and out of sync with the rest of the vehicle - red flag.

Gotta look at things like the steering and suspension. Loose steering is an indicator of higher miles. I also look at the pedals. The amount of wear is another good indicator. Also, if the rubber covers for the pedals are brand new it and out of sync with the rest of the vehicle - red flag.
All good tips. I know from my auto salvage days that we used to pull and sell a lot of steering columns for F series trucks from the very early 80s into the late 90s. I don't know if those years Rangers were prone to the same problems or not. But checking the amount of play in the wheel as well as the indicator being off in automatic models is something to remember.

Back
Top Bottom