• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nice truck for the money

I've never understood the 'why are you selling?' question. My answer is always "because I want to sell it".
But why do you want to sell it ?
Family getting bigger , need a bigger car ?
Bought a newer car with less miles on it ?
Transmission fixing to go out ?

The WHY is very important

How long have you owned it helps screen out the flippers or dealers

I've bought a few cars from flippers and dealers over the years but it's a red flag to look for stuff they hid or covered up since their only goal is to make a quick buck from an unsuspecting buyer

Why are you selling it ?

Helps expose someone who is dumping it because the transmission is fixing to croak or whatever

Depending of course on how good of a liar they are , most people are not expecting that question and of they stumble and stutter when you ask it , that's a red flag

Again , it doesn't mean it's not a good vehicle for the money , just means you gotta look a little closer

Any seller saying their car has a rebuilt engine is lying unless they have the receipt,
If you pay thousands for a rebuilt engine or Trans that comes with a warranty , you're gonna keep the receipt

Same with "the oil was changed every 3000 miles "

If they are that OCD about maintainence they will have a folder full of receipts

Its not that hard to keep an envelope on the glove box and put the receipts in it

I usually don't pay much attention to Milage either , assume it's been rolled back unless that have documentation , like years of receipts from the oil change place showing the Milage on it

Either that or it's sat around for years without being driven , which is actually worse for a car than driving it

If the miles got put on by a traveling salesman on long trips , it usually doesn't wear out the vehicle as much as if the same miles were put on by a mail man or a teenager who did nothing but drag race at every stoplight and never check the oil

And Milage is not as important as the overall condition
I've owned and driven cars with 300k+ on em

I daily drove one car with 490k on it

I've bought a few cars from flippers and dealers over the years but it's a red flag to look for stuff they hid or covered up since their only goal is to make a quick buck from an unsuspecting buyer

Why are you selling it ?

Helps expose someone who is dumping it because the transmission is fixing to croak or whatever

Depending of course on how good of a liar they are , most people are not expecting that question and of they stumble and stutter when you ask it , that's a red flag

Again , it doesn't mean it's not a good vehicle for the money , just means you gotta look a little closer

I can understand the reasoning. I just expect that someone who is selling to avoid a failing transmission isn't going to be dumb enough to give you a clue. If it works for you I can't argue with success. :)

What really confuses me is when I get the same question when I've got a gun for sale. These days when I get a PM asking "why are you selling?" my response has been "why are you buying?". ;)

I can't stand when folks say "clear title". It's "CLEAN TITLE". I think "clear" is an old school term...
I think most of the time if a person asks about a CLEAR title they're trying to find out if there's any liens against it. Hence the saying " Free and clear". And asking about a CLEAN title (to me anyway) means they're making sure it's not a salvage or rebuild title.
Then again a lot of it can just be chalked up to ignorance. I don't pretend to know everything about car titles and the law but I know a good bit more than most people.

I think most of the time if a person asks about a CLEAR title they're trying to find out if there's any liens against it. Hence the saying " Free and clear". And asking about a CLEAN title (to me anyway) means they're making sure it's not a salvage or rebuild title.
Then again a lot of it can just be chalked up to ignorance. I don't pretend to know everything about car titles and the law but I know a good bit more than most people.
Well, I guess. As long as the lien is signed off then I don't care. It's very rare to run into someone selling a vehicle they have a loan on. F that. Too much work.

Well, I guess. As long as the lien is signed off then I don't care. It's very rare to run into someone selling a vehicle they have a loan on. F that. Too much work.
Oh yeah I know. I've had people try to sell me a title pawn junker to get it out.of their yard. But the title pawn won't release the title even though they've already made a ton of money on it. And they know the car is inop junk so they don't want to go get it.
Used to be every once in a while I'd find some putz with a car and no title so he knew he had to sell it cheap. I've bonded several titles since 2010. Most people don't know that's an option.

Why are you selling it ?

Any seller saying their car has a rebuilt engine is lying unless they have the receipt,
If you pay thousands for a rebuilt engine or Trans that comes with a warranty , you're gonna keep the receipt

Same with "the oil was changed every 3000 miles "

If they are that OCD about maintainence they will have a folder full of receipts

Its not that hard to keep an envelope on the glove box and put the receipts in it

I usually don't pay much attention to Milage either , assume it's been rolled back unless that have documentation , like years of receipts from the oil change place showing the Milage on it

Either that or it's sat around for years without being driven , which is actually worse for a car than driving it

If the miles got put on by a traveling salesman on long trips , it usually doesn't wear out the vehicle as much as if the same miles were put on by a mail man or a teenager who did nothing but drag race at every stoplight and never check the oil

And Milage is not as important as the overall condition
I've owned and driven cars with 300k+ on em

I daily drove one car with 490k on it
I guess we're assuming they will tell you the truth. They want to sell it, not give you reasons to walk away. They're good questions if you're dealing with a person who is honest and has integrity, but sadly when it comes to selling 'stuff', seems morals fly out the window much of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom