• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nicest bottle of Whisky or Whiskey

I have a great bottle of Four Roses right now. My homeboy from KY came down last month and brought me a bottle of reserve.

View attachment 325063

What do you think of it? I truly think that it is everything that a bourbon should be. Is it as smooth as an 18 year old Pappy? No, but a ribeye isn't as tender as a tofu sandwhich either. It just has loads of really bright character. Lots of vanilla on the front and backend, plenty of oakiness, and a big old boozy spine to carry all of those fantastic smells and flavors up into the sinuses. The finish just lasts and lasts.

Happening right now
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_12_10_d64ef346a0b8f5864a9f65225b87050d.jpg

Sounds like you just aren't a whisky drinker. I've never heard anyone describe Woodford as "harsh". What are you tasting? What's offputting about it? Same with the Glenmorarangie. At least one of those should be excellent.

Woodford Reserve is not the best of the best but it is a good bourbon, Harsh is not a term I would ever use either. The Glenmorangie Original is a ten year tht should still be pretty smooth. Maybe start with a splash of water with it if it is too much.

Just trying them straight to get the full effect / taste. I find the Woodford and Makers Mark to have a dramatic burn (Gasoline) and Knob Creek is similar, but not as bad... I only tried one of the Scotch's so far.

I know it is WHISKY (Man Up, Right?). I had a shot of Jonnie Walker - Blue Label at a party years ago. It was smooth and sent a warm rush throughout my body. I guess I am looking for that...

REALLY Liking the Colorado Tin Cup though... Great flavor and nice mild burn...

Last edited:
Just trying them straight to get the full effect / taste. I find the Woodford and Makers Mark to have a dramatic burn (Gasoline) and Knob Creek is similar, but not as bad... I only tried one of the Scotch's so far.

I know it is WHISKY (Man Up, Right?). I had a shot of Jonnie Walker - Blue Label at a party years ago. It was smooth and sent a warm rush throughout my body. I guess I am looking for that...

Yeah, you should be drinking it neat for sure. Make sure to rinse the glass well, and have some water between samplings. The burn is just the alcohol, but the Scotch should also have a lot of heather, honey and smoke. The booziness shouldn't be the main attraction, but it does help carry the flavors.

Back
Top Bottom