• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nickel Boron BCG Durability

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
How are yalls nickel boron bcg's holding up? I have 2 and they work fine but they don't stay pretty very long. Anyone's holding its shiney finish better than mine?
Before ultra sonic cleaning
20171108_131011.jpg
After and wiping
20171108_141341.jpg
20171108_141334.jpg

Sorry those pics don't help at all lol

Most of my Nickle Boron BCG's are nickle colored. They stay shinny and silver. Of course there are a few places that get a little discolored with kind like a smoky color but nothing to crazy. I find if I clean them off as soon as I get home ( which I do with all my firearms ) they clean up real easy and don't have time to let the carbon soak into them. Some of the NiB BCG's are worse than others. They come in three distinct colors. Black, matte silver and highly polished. I have two of them. The highly polished one seems to stay cleaner since it doesn't have the porosity the matte silver color one does. I never had the urge to try the darker colored one's simply because you can't see how clean they are. If it's indeed NiB then solvent isn't really necessary. A paper towel will just wipe everything right off. I do use Q-tips to get into areas where I can't get to with the paper towel. Sometimes I will use just a little solvent but that just depends on how dirty the ammo is I am firing. Sometime when I am reloading I will run into a dirty powder and then I will immediately take that one of the rotation. Discoloration will differ from brand to brand as well.

I like the idea of them but I don't know what non super pricey ones are good. I have heard some of the less expensive ones can have chipping issues.

I really like mine. WMD makes a good one that's not so high. It 139 I believe. I paid over 300 for my AR10 NiB BCG. Talking about a expensive part.:jaw: Fail Zero makes a good one for a real good price. I have have used Aero Precision on my lesser expensive builds and they held up amazingly well for the money. They use to have coating problems but they have worked that out now. Piar a Nib BCG with good Nib charging handle you will have one smooth action. also put a fine layer of bearing grease on the buffer spring to quiet it down and it also smooths out the action. It has a high melting point so it will never break down under continuous fire. Those three things make for a real smooth and quite action.

Prefer manganese phosphate on my BCG’s. It is a more durable finish with better wear resistance than NiB.

Smooth is relative. As long as the gun runs 100% reliable, it’s smooth enough. I’ve never seen a malfunction in an AR caused by the finish on the BCG.

Hydrogen embrittlement can be an issue with an NiB bolt. You won’t know if it’s an issue.......until it’s an issue.

Prefer manganese phosphate on my BCG’s. It is a more durable finish with better wear resistance than NiB.

Smooth is relative. As long as the gun runs 100% reliable, it’s smooth enough. I’ve never seen a malfunction in an AR caused by the finish on the BCG.

Hydrogen embrittlement can be an issue with an NiB bolt. You won’t know if it’s an issue.......until it’s an issue.
My 6.8 BCG's are heavy phosphate. That's what Daniel defense uses on their 6.8 bolt and I am partial to those bolts for 6.8's. They run smooth to it's just when you use good parts you get good results no matter the coating that's what it boils down to.

Back
Top Bottom