• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Night hunting is the best.

Have y'all had any luck? My coyotes are smarter than me. If I can figure out how to make my call delay I think I'll set it up 4 to 600 yards away with some dead critter nearby, around sunset. Have tried at 200 yards and they ain't having it. Maybe circling around finding me. Sure wish I could wipe em all out.

I was hunting coyotes on a dairy farm with my dad when I was about 12. The farmer apparently dumped dead cows into a huge pit and wouldn't ya know-- ended up with a predator problem. I'm 100 miles from home, in some field on some farm surrounded by cow carcasses and trying to sound like a dying rabbit at 3am on a full moon. I'm just about sure that we have attracted every chupacabra in the area and we are certainly going to be attacked. I remember my dad having his rifle and I had a double barrel 20 gauge. It was my job to watch the bushes and pop anything that tries to murder us from behind. At this point- I'm working myself up worrying about panthers and Bigfoot when I see the moonlight glint off something huge and running at us. I yelled and swung my shotgun around- my dad grabbed the barrel and goes " son- please don't shoot the man's horse"

That field was supposed to be clear of all livestock and the farmer wanted us to kill anything that came to that call... I learned a valuable lesson that day. Don't listen to crazy old farmers and just about anything will come to a call.

Yep.
I feel at whome in the woods.

Two years ago my buddy and I set up our tree stands on a WMA where we had an encounter with some creatures only to notice after first light it must have been fast moving humans with 18" Feet.
We got pics of the footprints and showed them to a DNR GUY who affirmed he's ran into the same thing in his travels up there and heard many stories from freaked out hunters and hikers.
Anyways it's 4:00am and I wanted to get in my stand and just take in the total darkness for a while in my tree before my archery hunt for deer.
I get set up and start shimmying up a real nice, straight tree and my headlight battery dies.
Just as that happened something starts thrashing and snapping branches next to my tree.
This went on for about 20 seconds and I just kept going up my tree thinking I ain't afraid of this whatever it is.
So the noise just abruptly stopped so I'm listening as I'm reaching for my backup
Flashlight....silence.
I get my light and shine down at the ground all around and there is nothing to be seen other than the deadfall next to my tree.
Never found out what it was thankfully but whatever it was it was powerful and fast by the sound it was snapping large sticks like twigs and thrashing.
I thought I was dead but wasn't afraid because I figured if this thing gets me it's gonna be over quick...haha.
That didn't mean I wouldn't unload my sidearm into it.lol.
I always wondered why I never heard it run off and even if it slinked off the leaves were so noisy I would have heard something.
Makes me wonder if it was watching me the whole time and I never knew it.
Believe me I scanned the area the whole time I was hunting looking for the slightest movement or coloring of an animal.
I didn't see any footprints that time.

Ive heard some weird noises and loud bumps in the night.i like it when the song dogs gets wound up.
Yep its funny to see a grown ass man with a gun scared of the dark lol,ive had couple guys had to baby sit like women.

20150913_005014.jpg

Oh oh... I forgot. I wanted to hit the tree stand early one morning for deer and just got this new climber. My fat butt went wandering off into the darkness around 5am and climbed as quiet as I could. Sat there for about an hour until I hear this insane noise. I was high up and the noise was level with me. I tied myself in with a body harness and I remember just drawing my pistol and spinning around and grabbing the harness so I wouldn't fall. The tree next to me was full of roosting turkeys that had all woken up and saw me. That was fun.

Yep.
I feel at whome in the woods.

Two years ago my buddy and I set up our tree stands on a WMA where we had an encounter with some creatures only to notice after first light it must have been fast moving humans with 18" Feet.
We got pics of the footprints and showed them to a DNR GUY who affirmed he's ran into the same thing in his travels up there and heard many stories from freaked out hunters and hikers.
Anyways it's 4:00am and I wanted to get in my stand and just take in the total darkness for a while in my tree before my archery hunt for deer.
I get set up and start shimmying up a real nice, straight tree and my headlight battery dies.
Just as that happened something starts thrashing and snapping branches next to my tree.
This went on for about 20 seconds and I just kept going up my tree thinking I ain't afraid of this whatever it is.
So the noise just abruptly stopped so I'm listening as I'm reaching for my backup
Flashlight....silence.
I get my light and shine down at the ground all around and there is nothing to be seen other than the deadfall next to my tree.
Never found out what it was thankfully but whatever it was it was powerful and fast by the sound it was snapping large sticks like twigs and thrashing.
I thought I was dead but wasn't afraid because I figured if this thing gets me it's gonna be over quick...haha.
That didn't mean I wouldn't unload my sidearm into it.lol.
I always wondered why I never heard it run off and even if it slinked off the leaves were so noisy I would have heard something.
Makes me wonder if it was watching me the whole time and I never knew it.
Believe me I scanned the area the whole time I was hunting looking for the slightest movement or coloring of an animal.
I didn't see any footprints that time.

Yea uh... what wma was this so I never go there?

Back
Top Bottom