• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

night vision

I'm in the military and have used NVG's alot. I'm really familiar with AN/PVS-14's. I've used AN/PVS-7B/D's before but prefer the 14's. Better depth perception and the image intensifier is a lot clearer.

I'm in the military and have used NVG's alot. I'm really familiar with AN/PVS-14's. I've used AN/PVS-7B/D's before but prefer the 14's. Better depth perception and the image intensifier is a lot clearer.

I'm also in the military and I share your opinion on this. The PVS 7s will get you killed. The PVS 14s allow you to use natural depth perception and that helps a ton when walking or driving.

. The PVS 7s will get you killed. The PVS 14s allow you to use natural depth perception and that helps a ton when walking or driving.

Amen to that. 14's all the way. If someone asked me to go into combat with 7B's I'd tell them to s**k it. Actually, I have done that. And I got my 14's back... guess the SSgt didn't want to walk point.

If you're looking for a cheap starter monocular, Sportsman Guide has a YUKON 5X DIGITAL for $269...I've got several regular Gen1's and this unit is alot better than the older ones!

If you're hunting, buy a ND3 illuminator and attach it to your scope...I've got one of these also and they're a cheap way to hunt varmits at night.

I've never seen less then gen 3 in person to base a comparison, always wondered how much worse the older stuff is. I've played around with Gen 3 but I wasn't in the serviceso we just tried the civvy style head mount, what I did learn though was that the head mount most kits come with freaking suck! They are skull crushers that hurt like hell especially if you have a big head. A helmet mount would be way way better, I'd get a helmet just to mount a monocle to even if I didn't care about protecting my head.

Oh yeah if you get your hands on some, don't forget to look at the sky, I think if I owned a pair I'd end up using them for star gazing more then anything else, it's amazing what you can see!

Yeah pretty cool looking at the stars. I remember one time in April 2004 I was on a night presence patrol around Iskandariyah, Iraq and was pulling security on a corner of a street. I was only a PFC at the time but apparently we had air support, because out of no where I heard a load noise and I looked up and saw an F-18 coming down to almost ground level fast as hell. It leveled off a few hundred feet off the ground and it's after burners looked bright as hell through my NOD's. Anyways, the pilot did a few fast flybys. It was pretty cool. Looking through NVG's in Afghanistan on top of a mountain is cool as hell too. You can look out to the other side of the mountain across a valley and see the light of cigarette or small fire from incredible distances. I don't know if it's just because they don't have electricity on those mountains in Kunar or what but it was cool.

Anvis -6 goggles are the dual variation somewhat similar to but lighter than PVS 14 monoculars. They are SF issue, and they are pretty awesome even compared to 14's. You get depth perception so walking around in the ANVIS-6's is like walking around in daylight. No tripping, no clumsyness.

The SF people recently got upgrade monoculars too- they do nightvision and thermal in one unit, but that technology isn't a goggle with the depth perception aid yet.

i389.photobucket.com_albums_oo338_soren_anvis6005.jpg

These are similar but apparently are the "ANVIS-9"

[Broken External Image]:

Good for surveying. Not much good for anything else. They require batteries and add weight "to your head".

Back
Top Bottom