• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nightforce SHV

Eastwood

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
222   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the SHV illuminated models? The moar reticle is “center illuminated only” and when I turn the illumination on it casts a red outline onto the entire reticle, the center + lights up like it is supposed to but the rest of the reticle is supposed to remain black but instead the edges of it turn red. It’s worse on higher intensity but still noticeable on lower intensity too.

These aren’t my pics but I found these online from one other person talking about it and mine is the same way

Attachments

• E080D948-61AF-4802-8265-297000D24261.jpeg
    E080D948-61AF-4802-8265-297000D24261.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 35
Not unusual for illuminated reticles. Often times its errant light pinballing around the tube or erector and makes it seem more of the reticle is lit.

These aren’t my pics but I found these online from one other person talking about it and mine is the same way
If you are taking pics and judging the illumination at night or in near pitch black, it certainly will light up most of the reticle . Like twitch said, that's normal.

Etched glass reticles have this issue, it's just part of how they have to be made. FWIW, most people way overuse illumination. You only need to use what is needed. Anything in excess of what is needed to actually see the reticle will compromise your visuals through the scope in low light. There is just a very few minutes at dawn and dusk where I need illumination and I keep it very low. When running with NV, I don't even use it at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I never planned on using it on the higher end of the intensity settings, my concern was that the excess reticle lighting was noticeable to me even on the lower end, in the 3-4 intensity range, even though it goes up to 11. I plan on using it on 1-2 intensity close to dark only if I’m unable to see the center + against darker backgrounds. If I can see the + then the illumination is staying off. Just wanted to get some opinions because I haven’t used many illuminated scopes and the ones I have used I don’t remember the excess red glare, maybe the reticles on them weren’t glass etched

Back
Top Bottom