• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NJ gun laws?

When (and if) she gets one, she is not permitted to detour whatsoever from the point at which she picks it up, to her home. If she stops at a grocery store, to pump gas, to say hi to a relative, and happens to get pulled over or in an incident to which the police respond, she is going to jail.

I grew up in NJ, and much of my family still chooses to live in that hellhole despite knowing life is better elsewhere. My sister wanted a pistol for home protection, and it took her over a year of jumping through hoops to get it, and a local LEO met her at the gun store and explained the above rules, atop many others, to her. He then followed her home, either for her safety (yeah right) or to assure she wasn't breaking those laws.

NJ is as close to a communist state as we've got in the US. Previous post said it was easier to move, I cannot agree more.

I sent a couple guns to my nephew in Jersey. Each gun has to be individually applied for and you need a permit for each. It's not too hard to get a permit, my brother is in the process right now. She has to go to one of the fingerprint places, police stations don't do it like when I got my permit. The fingerprints are sent to the local gestapo and they do a background check at a very slow rate. A couple months later if she's lucky she will maybe get the permit. Unless you have an FFL the gun shop will not take the gun, it has to come from an FFL. It's easier to do what I did, move to Ga.

I also was born and raised in jersey, it was not so bad back then I actually was in gun club in high school. We would bring our guns to school and the teacher would teach us the proper way to break them down and clean them. My teacher brought in a machine gun from WWI to show us how to use it.

I knew it was bad but good lord. Yeah she will probably be moving either down here or to SC in a few years I guess I'll just tell her to get a really good taser or something in the meantime. Or a big old German Shepard
If I'm not mistaken tasers are illegal without a permit to carry. They cherish their bad guys up there, they don't want them getting hurt, unless it's by one of their own ghetto rats.

... in Jersey. Each gun has to be individually applied for and you need a permit for each. It's not too hard to get a permit, my brother is in the process right now.

.... A couple months later if she's lucky she will maybe get the permit.

If her safety is important, I'd say don't wait years until she moves South. Let her visit you in GA and you take her shooting, making sure to visit a range where they rent guns. Let her shoot several models. Have her pick one or more favorites from everything she test-fired.

Then, back in NJ, let her apply for a handgun permit as outlined by Joeabarano's post above.

NJ sounds a lot like NY state, and when I moved to NY as an adult, the first thing I did was apply for an unrestricted carry permit-- one not related to work or running a business, and not limited to just going to/from the gun club or hunting fields (though I did have to show current membership in a gun club. I joined a real one, and actually used their range a lot, competing in the regional (and international, w/ Canada) .22 pistol league.

My New York State carry permit did take several months to be approved and sent to me. But it was worth it. I hear that a "premises permit" is much easier to get, and faster to be approved, but I wanted the carry version, which took some character references, membership in a gun club, and the authorities actually did call and check with my neighbors / other references.

So, bottom line, NJ's laws suck and are surely an infringement on a Second Amendment right to have a handgun in your home for protection, BUT, complying with the law is not very difficult. Just time-consuming. The sooner your mom applies, the sooner she'll be able to buy a gun from a local shop up there in New Joy-zee.

(And yeah, I think she should buy the gun herself up there, rather than you send her one of yours. Just make sure she buys one that is the same model, or at least VERY SIMILAR TO, the model she tested when visiting you. One she's confirmed as being able to operate effectively and isn't afraid of.)

1642907317246.png

This isn't my NY state permit, but mine looks just like it on the front, and the back side
has a list of the specific handguns you're licensed to carry .

(This image is NOT of the front and back sides of the license-- the top image is only
the front side of her carry license, but the thing below that is a "purchase coupon" that
a permit holder would give to whatever dealer or person sells them a handgun.).

Jeez you also have to specify what kind of gun you are allowed to carry? I honestly never realized just how damn annoying these states are.

To be honestly her area is incredibly low as far as crime rate goes, but of course her living alone right now I just would like her to be able to have something for peace of mind. Better to have and not need right? Thanks everyone for the info. Hopefully she doesn't procrastinate like me and goes and gets all of this sorted out ASAP

Good luck !!! NJ doesn't even let you pump your own gas.
^^^THIS^^^
pulled Into a station there in 2016 while doing a build. Jumped out, grab the nozzle and shoved in in the filler….. holy ****! You’d thought I just killed the pope with all the commotion that caused.
all the attendants swarmed me and proceeded to tell me I couldn’t do that. Sheesh…learned that day I didn’t know how to pump gas in Jersey…

I grew up in NJ. Long story short the gun laws are stringent to say the least. A lot of laws concerning what ammunition you may have or use. Be extremely careful.

Back
Top Bottom