• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No carry permit but seller wants to verify criminal history

I'm skipping over 5 pages, so forgive me if this is already been said, but:

1-- Yes, most police and sheriffs agencies will do a Georgia Crime Information Center ( GCIC) criminal history report for a small fee. You can't get this for another person the subject of the report has to show up personally with a photo ID and request the check for themselves.

BUT, a GCIC report may not be complete when it comes to crimes committed in other states, and it certainly will not have information about mental health disqualifications, current domestic violence restraining orders, drug addiction, or other things that would make a person prohibited under federal (and state) law.

The NCIS Federal background check taps into a database that is specifically tailored for screening people for gun ownership so it's a better database if you want to be the cautious type it's better to go to a gun dealer and have that FFL gun dealer process the transaction for you.

(Although I'm pretty sure that just having the potential buyer or trader get their own GCIC from a local police / Sheriff's agency would prevent you from getting any blame if the person later misused your gun, or if somebody wanted to accuse you of being a conspiracy an accomplice to the crime of supplying a prohibited person with a firearm.)

2- ATF has come out with a short pamphlet for gun dealers to review as to how to process private party transactions. It does require the form 4473 to be filled out, and it does require the standard NICS instant background check.
And the weapon must be logged in and out of the dealer's acquisition and disposition book.

https://www.atf.gov/file/110076/download

I've never done this or asked anybody to do it for any in state transfer between myself and another Georgia resident. But I do check ID to make sure I am dealing with a Georgia resident. I don't ever require somebody buying or trading into one of my guns to have a carry permit, because you don't need a carry permit to own a gun to keep a gun in your home or in your vehicle or to carry one at your place of business. I will assume a person who is willing to show me their ID and is not attempting to purchase this gun anonymously is a law abiding person unless something sets off a red flag in my mind that indicates they may not be.

Refusing to let me take a look at their ID is such a red flag. It's suspicious.

Just found this thread I will go back and read.
I found this by accident because I did a search for the word ignore.
I am updating my ignore list so I do not have to see postings that have been out there for at least 2 years.
Relative to this thread I'm going to ignore anyone who has extensive requirements.

bear chillin on sofa.jpg
just do like this bear,Chill

Just found this thread I will go back and read.
I found this by accident because I did a search for the word ignore.
I am updating my ignore list so I do not have to see postings that have been out there for at least 2 years.
Relative to this thread I'm going to ignore anyone who has extensive requirements.
Dont forget me ! Lol

When I huy from a private party I expect to give them my name address, and show my drivers license -- That complies with the law -- If he demands more , I am not providing more, he can sell or not-- Plenty of high priced weapons out there, I do not need his hang-up

Back
Top Bottom