• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No contact in 24 hours from buyer - ok to move on?

Seems like a lot of “trigger happy” folks here. Per ODT rules negs are for someone who doesn’t show up after place and time of meet are set up in writing via pm.
They are under no obligation to buy, just to show up.
Granted, asking for lower price on a gun like a GLOCK at meet is kinda slimy but hey, he can ask. I’m free to say yes or no. But that is not a violation of site rules, just kinda distasteful. I might not do a future deal with this person but no “neg” is allowed.
However, for more expensive items where condition can factor into value...then price negotiation can be very appropriate. For example, someone commits to price for a LNIB Colt Python and shows up. Seller produces a gun that has condition issues not shown in picture. Or maybe produces a box that is not serial numbered to the gun.
If I’m the buyer then I am either walking away with a “no thanks” or I’m asking for a price reduction.
If seller gets his panties in a wad over that and tries to “neg” or “neutral” me over that...well, good luck, it ain’t gonna stick. If anything, seller needs a neg for failing to disclose condition issues.
But really, I think negs should be reserved for the “no shows”. Allowing people to throw “negs” around just because they get their feelings hurt makes the feedback system into a popularity contest.
Imho.
You can't have it both ways. You're being a hypocrite. Leave a neg for seller because of your interpretation of condition of the gun, then you want a discount? Yet, in the same post you say all that's required is for people to show up and deal is completed, and a negative shouldn't stick. Come on man. I think people don't get negs enough. Not because you think members are crybabies or getting their feelings hurt, but because it's a warning to others not to deal with people that have no integrity or have scummy tactics. If anything, this is where a neutral should be given...hey they showed up, but gun wasn't as listed. I think that's more fair.

1) Both ways? WTF are you talking about?
2) Don’t call me names...asshole.
3) Condition of a gun is subjective. Try reading what I said again. Maybe three times. That’s why negs are NOT for differences of opinion on condition. Even though someone who advertises a gun “LNIB” then states later in the ad...”really good shooting gun” is a moron. On “working” guns condition is rarely an issue...unless it a function issue. Collectible guns...condition is everything. And pictures can only show so much.
My point above, that you obviously misunderstood, was that if someone deliberately hid a glaring condition issue in their pictures...then I wish I could “neg” them. But site rules do not, as I understand them, provide for that. I think we agree on that...but site rules would have to be changed to allow for that, I think.
Maybe a mod can comment here?

Some of the folks on here are educated about gun condition terms. They have bought and sold on Colt, Smith and other forums where condition words and % ratings mean something.
Other folks on the ODT have no ****ing clue what LNIB or 98% mean.
Finally, it’s a free country. You can leave “neutrals” and “negs” all you want...I usually look at negative feedback to see where it comes from before I judge a guy.
Just don’t lecture me on how to leave feedback.

Finally, why are you making this discussion so personal? I didn’t address you by name or attack you in any way.
I simply stated my understanding of site rules on feedback.
Then you want to jump down my throat and call me a hypocrite? Good grief.

1) Both ways? WTF are you talking about?
2) Don’t call me names...asshole.
3) Condition of a gun is subjective. Try reading what I said again. Maybe three times. That’s why negs are NOT for differences of opinion on condition. Even though someone who advertises a gun “LNIB” then states later in the ad...”really good shooting gun” is a moron. On “working” guns condition is rarely an issue...unless it a function issue. Collectible guns...condition is everything. And pictures can only show so much.
My point above, that you obviously misunderstood, was that if someone deliberately hid a glaring condition issue in their pictures...then I wish I could “neg” them. But site rules do not, as I understand them, provide for that. I think we agree on that...but site rules would have to be changed to allow for that, I think.
Maybe a mod can comment here?

Some of the folks on here are educated about gun condition terms. They have bought and sold on Colt, Smith and other forums where condition words and % ratings mean something.
Other folks on the ODT have no ****ing clue what LNIB or 98% mean.
Finally, it’s a free country. You can leave “neutrals” and “negs” all you want...I usually look at negative feedback to see where it comes from before I judge a guy.
Just don’t lecture me on how to leave feedback.

Finally, why are you making this discussion so personal? I didn’t address you by name or attack you in any way.
I simply stated my understanding of site rules on feedback.
Then you want to jump down my throat and call me a hypocrite? Good grief.
Take your own advice. You're proving my point about being a hypocrite. I wasn't making it personal. You just did.

I'll go ahead and add you to the list of people who not to deal with in the future.

I actually had that happen to me last week.

New guy reaches out, says he's very interested in my Sig. I said ok. He said he wanted to get it today, would drive to me 50min and we agree on time and place (near me). No problem. He texts me 15min away prior to arriving he got $450 on him. I was like...the price is $550 buddy. Said so in the ad. He proceeds to tell me he can get it new for $579.

I just told him Good luck finding one, and cancelled the deal.

That is classic CL - people actually advocate that as a "negotiating technique".

Folks can try to get it at a lower price absolutely but not at the gun meet lol. Haggle all you want but once it’s agreed upon don’t try to hit me $20 cheaper at the meet up!

Only had the happen once. Buyer found some imaginary flaw, wanted to cut price $30. Told him I would feel bad selling damaged goods, took the gun and left. Later sold if for asking price.

I might have cut the price if he had been upfront, but I'm not doing the BS thing.

Take your own advice. You're proving my point about being a hypocrite. I wasn't making it personal. You just did.

I'll go ahead and add you to the list of people who not to deal with in the future.

Your logic is amazing...you call people a name and get mad when they reciprocate.
By all means put me on your “list”.
I’ll sleep better tonight lol.

Back
Top Bottom