• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No more short term canned prep food for me.

IMaDad

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
There I was, in one of those "dang I didn't get anything for dinner" moments. No worries! I'm prepared!

So I head over to the freezer and pull out a vacuum packed chunk of ground beef, walk over to the prep pantry and pull out a can of Sloppy Joe sauce. The kids love sloppy joes.

I noticed the sauce expired last year (2016) just a couple months ago. No worries! I prep! I know those best by dates are just a suggestion! I've read the charts!

So I cook it all up, it smells great. Make some big sandwiches for the boys and not one minute later they are back in the kitchen spitting it all back out. They start hollering about how it tastes like tin foil.

So I double check. Yeah. That stuff is gross.

Now I have 3 cases of veggies and **** sitting by the door. What a waste of money. I was planning on keeping them another 5 years!

I believe in a pantry that you cycle through what you eat on a regular basis. Some things though just aren't eaten enough to be in cans, and I won't trust them anymore after they expire.

This is just a small word of caution for you guys as well. That stuff may be perfectly stored, in undamaged cans, and inedible.

I'm bringing down the number of canned goods dramatically and stocking up on dry good and freeze dried foods.

Throwing out a couple hundred bucks worth of food. Smdh

I can see how the sloppy joe sauce would go bad since it has so many ingredients but canned corn/green beans/ sweet peas... I've had a few I've tested out 1 yr past and they tasted fine. I do drain and rinse the can veggies though.

Was it just the taste that was bad or do you think it would make you sick?Would you have eaten it if you had nothing else to eat?

Back
Top Bottom