• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

no primers for 2022

Well, I picked a bad time to start learning to reload.:blue: How many primers is a reasonable amount to keep on hand? I haven't built a live round yet as still figuring out what everything does.

Well, I picked a bad time to start learning to reload.:blue: How many primers is a reasonable amount to keep on hand? I haven't built a live round yet as still figuring out what everything does.
How much do you shoot where you need to control the velocity and pressures? If you can get by with factory ammo, I'd lay in a stock now (been telling folks to lay it in if they can). If you're shooting a comp'd gun and need to control pressure curves, gas volumes, etc., I'd keep a case on hand (5,000) per year I plan to shoot/practice minimum. If you're tuning a load to a rifle for accuracy & reliable function, I'd keep a couple of thousand on hand depending on volume of ammo consumption.

How much do you shoot? How long do you want to be prepared for?

How much do you shoot? How long do you want to be prepared for?
Anyone who lived through the "Great Neckbeard Panic of 1994" usually keeps 40 - 50,000 on hand in various sizes/pressures/etc. Just because. I remember thinking it would be so bad we started practicing reusing spent primers with Strike Anywhere Match paste, and anvil, tweezers and a punch.

I haven't been shooting as much since ammo and prices got stupid. Gone are the 300-400 round range trips and now more like 100-150 depending on what I'm shooting. Shoot a lot of 9mm currently. The setup I got has a decent amount of items (or at least to me) to keep me going for a while.

Here is what I have on hand and will start using them shortly.

Attachments

• 20220404_201329.jpg
    20220404_201329.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom