• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Noco Genius or other smart 12v chargers

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Anybody have a Noco Genius, CTEK, or similar charger with a battery reconditioning mode?

Between boat, tractor, ATVs, lawn equipment, vehicles, I get fed up with short lifespan batteries. A one year old battery out of one of my ATVs is already acting like it doesn't want to take a charge, after having had reasonable care.

Wondering if I should invest in a smart charger with a repair/desulphination mode.

Experiences?

i have one of these and its always worked for 20+ years
upload_2017-6-2_17-56-3.jpeg

but i was worried about leaving it on charged for extended
time periods so i bought a smart charger
upload_2017-6-2_17-57-50.jpeg

its smart enough to know when to quit charging
(cuts it down to milliamps when battery is full)

doesnt have a battery restore mode

i would not recommend it though
(wish i would've bought a better one)

I ordered a Schumacher SSC-1000A. Based on reviews, it seems like the best bang for the buck in a digital charger that has a reconditioning feature.

Will report my results back here after I've had a chance to use it. Have several battery rehab projects to try.

I ordered a Schumacher SSC-1000A. Based on reviews, it seems like the best bang for the buck in a digital charger that has a reconditioning feature.

Will report my results back here after I've had a chance to use it. Have several battery rehab projects to try.

This turned out to be a very good purchase. I've already rescued two small 12v batteries that didn't seem to want to hold a charge. After overnight charges that included a desulphination cycle, both batteries are now holding voltage, where before, the voltage started dropping immediately after a short time after a cycle on a traditional charger.

In for info.

I've got a couple vehicles that can sit for a month or more without being driven sometimes. I've got a couple of those cheap little $10 battery tenders from Tractor Supply on them and have actually had pretty good luck. One of the vehicles has a battery in it that's 10 years old and is still going strong.

I feel your pain on the ATV batteries though. They seem to always crap out pretty fast even though I keep a battery tender on them. Luckily my ATVs have backup rope starters, because I've had to use them before.

In for info.

I've got a couple vehicles that can sit for a month or more without being driven sometimes. I've got a couple of those cheap little $10 battery tenders from Tractor Supply on them and have actually had pretty good luck. One of the vehicles has a battery in it that's 10 years old and is still going strong.

I feel your pain on the ATV batteries though. They seem to always crap out pretty fast even though I keep a battery tender on them. Luckily my ATVs have backup rope starters, because I've had to use them before.
Thats all I use. Got a truck, bike, van and a mower on tenders. They work awesome. First one I bought was the real battery tender namebrand for $40. Now Ive got the harbor freights for $15. Work great.

Thats all I use. Got a truck, bike, van and a mower on tenders. They work awesome. First one I bought was the real battery tender namebrand for $40. Now Ive got the harbor freights for $15. Work great.
I've always had good luck with mine. I doubt they'd bring a shot battery back to life like the more expensive smart chargers, but if you keep one on a good battery right from the start they definitely extend the life.

Battery tenders for most of my bikes and then I have one Optimate system that has the de-sulfate system where if I have a bad battery I throw it on there for a day or two and see if it'll bring it back to life. so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom